[1/2 implemented] Tool Path Optimization

I was cutting a project that had two pretty deep pockets and a profile cut. The tool path Easel produces takes a layer out of each pocket then makes a pass around the profile cut. The tool spends over half of its time inserting, withdrawing or traversing. Is there any way to make Easel complete a profile before starting on the next profile?

That would really speed up the cutting time.

1 Like

You could separate the two types of cuts. Create one job for the pocket and another for the profile.

We are working on that optimization right now in fact! Stay tuned

6 Likes

Can’t wait! I performed a standard 1" x 1" ‘grid’ test and easel drew each square individually rather than just making lines vertically and lines horizontally as well as many Z runs up and down.

1 Like

Yes, depth before layer feature would speed up job cutting to a fraction of the time.

My current work-around is bring the file in, make a copy and rename. Separate the cuts and do one part at a time.

ie, I had a job that was 6 identical parts. Cutting them together was well over 30 minutes. One by itself under 2.

2 Likes

I just started a new project and it seems that Easel just got a lot smarter about the toolpath. It seems to be grouping elements together to reduce the number of time it raises and lowers the bit.

Has anyone else noticed a big improvement?

Hi @AllenMassey part of the optimization was implemented but only if you aren’t carving all the way through. On Friday they were testing another significant improvement but it hasn’t been pushed out yet. It should be pushed out in the next week or so pending testing.

1 Like

I am doing a shallow 1/8 inch engraving and it is working great! I had no idea it could work so quickly, this is huge improvment. Please tell the software team just this one improvement is saving me about an hour per job.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Please have a look at the post: "Depth first" carving optimization
We’ve done some tool path optimizations, where we now finish carving one object before moving to the next.

2 Likes

Awesome!