1/4" HSS bit discolored after "long" MDF job

Let us know if you were able to successfully reuse your bit Jim. Are you going to resharpen it somehow?

This particular 1/4" bit I burned up was pretty affordable at $9.00:
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/high-speed-steel-2-flute-upcut-spiral

So in this case I will just order another one to see how much life I can get out of it milling only wood… maybe aluminum too. I’ll still keep the burnt bit as a talking piece :).

Chachin…

Interesting. So, do you keep a written/virtual list of your parameters?

Bits - From the depot or lowes or even the lower amazon action if it colors toss… I personally wing it and when I am worried about finish will get a new bit no problem if it is a project that matters. Testing I keep the bits that may not be amazing but still work. I also have a yonko compression 4 flute that I use sparingly - and a special 3" long unit for the good deep stuff… Amana Tools for the tapered ball nose tn coated specialty action…

I ran a Dremmel stone to clean up the head a bit. Just ran a job of HDPE and it seemed to cut like butter. Hopeful for when I try some hardwood.

whatever you do just get yourself on the track on buying quality bits as there are a bunch of cheap ones out there but eventually you will always spend more on those and want a quality tool they are just designed different and its the little touches that count in end mill tooling quality

Here is a document that I use sometimes to record parameters!!

CAUTION THESE FEEDS AND SPEEDS ARE FOR MY BIG 4X8 FT MACHINE WITH A PROPER SPINDLE THIS IS NOT FOR THE X-CARVE ALSO THE DOCUMENT IS KINDA OUTDATED BUT WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA ON HOW TO RECORD THINGS

Cam Recipes PRO4896.txt (10.2 KB)

@DamnitJim

that is true in some cases sometimes end mills are not dull just dirty and can be cleaned I do this alot to my compression spirals

@PWAC

you have a picture or link for this tool?

you dont see those very much what do you use it for? I believe those are designed to run 2000+ ipm

lol I ran a 1/4" compression tool successfully at 371 ipm last night in 3/4" melamine particle board taking .47" depth per pass at 18000 rpm

lol these tools will hold up for sure

I’ve seen them in a catalog, what is a compression tool?

Wow! So a 1/4" compression at .47" doc and 371 ipm feed and ~ 1-2 on the DeWalt? On the xcarve? Or a different machine?

What machine is he running?

@AbearDesign

oh no no my big production machine lol x-carve would did i think

I run a cncrp pro4896 with all the goodies

my x-carve is a laser now

Nice, I was figuring. Was more interested to find out what you’re running. In the nearish future, I’m thinking about building a stronger machine and switching the xcarve out to a laser also.

How are you liking thie cncrp pro4896? any downsides to it?
http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro4896-4-x-8-cnc-router-kit-p-253.html

@DamnitJim

a compression spiral tool combines the features of a upcut and downcut spiral bit they are

up cut on the bottom
and
down cut on the top

they work great for protecting the finish on both sides of the material

but there down side is that they are expensive like I had to by 2 for a job today and they where 95.00 each

@AbearDesign

oh yeah I like the machine but I hate it at the same time lol

make sure you get a spindle and dont use a router it will be night and day difference when cutting

and I really really really really really!!! wish the machine had a vacuum table
(I am designing one for it currently)
but for the work that I do I really need one

and I really really really really really!!! wish the machine had a automatic tool changer
but I didnt know what i needed when I bought it lol so all those things are my fault

other than that the machine has been alright if you can afford just a little more I would defiantly recommend a laguna or shop bot over the cncrp machine because it has more features that you really need

2 Likes

I guess i was wrong … it is a 3 flute …

Yonico 3 flute bit compression

I do use it pretty much on everything I would use a spiral down or upcut bit on… I run a water cooled spindle tho it runs high rpms.