1/4 pockets for magnets

So I’m trying to cut consistent 1/4" wide by 1/8" depth pockets to hold small neo magnets in a variety of woods. My issue is that using an 1/8" straight bit, I’m getting a lopsided sort of pocket that is too small to hold the magnet. There are a lot of these and I’d prefer not to have to clean up every one to get the magnet to fit.

Any thoughts? Other cuts are fine, just this smaller one. Belts all seem tight, router is fine, stepper motors are fine. Just upgraded to an X-controller.

Leave a roughing clearance, then take a finishing pass.

So how does one go about doing that? I’m currently doing a rough pass with a 1/4 bit for other parts of the project and using the 1/8" bit as the second pass. I guess I was expecting it to hold up.

Depends on the CAD/CAM stack you’re using — easiest thing to do is offset from where you want and set up separate toolpaths.

Ok thanks. I think I can setup another workpiece and do a more detailed pass through that.

Assuming Easel, set one workpiece to carve a hole of 0.22" then have another cut the 0.25", slower and at full depth.

I still think you should be able to get a consistent .25" hole, though. Can you share your project or settings?

1 Like

Lack of rigidity, there is some flex when the machine transition from X->Y direction or vice versa. The cutting forces (sideways) affect each axis differently.

You can use peck drilling with a 1/4" drill bit.