1000x1000 machine?

Just a slight gripe. Why are the 1000x1000 machines labelled that way when the actually grid on the wasteboard and working area is 750x750. Yea I realize the footprint may be 1000x1000 but it’s a little misleading don’t you think?

OK!

LOL!

Thanks!

Have you ever tried to buy a 2x4 at a place like home depot? They don’t have them. You can get a 1.5x3.5 :smiley:

2 Likes

When I buy a piece of 2X4 aluminum anywhere, it’s within a specified tolerance of 2" X 4". :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol, the tolerance is 25% for a 2x4 (1.5x3.5) today. I have some reclaimed 2x4 that are, guess what, 2" x 4". 100 years ago their tolerances were much lower :slight_smile:

Jon, I think it’s a fair question. I believe I remember reading somewhere that Inventables originally wasn’t in the machine making/selling business but rather materials and supplies and one of the parts sold was makerslide extrusions at set lengths. Once they started making machines using these parts they kept the 500mm & 1000mm names to be consistent with their previous parts and so people would know which machine used which length of extrusion.

I could be completely wrong, that’s just what I remember.

Go buy a 1TB hard drive off the shelf for a computer. You’re not really buying 1TB of usable and accessible space. You’re buying 931GB of usable space. Due to overhead reasons, your usable space is less than the advertised space.

For every person that asks why is a 1000mm machine only able to cut 750mm, there would be a person that asks why does a 750mm machine have 1000mm parts? Or better way to phrase the questions: “Why don’t I get everything the name says?” or “Why don’t I get everything the parts say?”.

As long as the cutting area is clearly stated (it is), personally, I don’t see a problem with it. Go look at a box for a hard drive and see if they explain what you’re actually getting.

Bad choice to make your point. You do really get 1TB. You can only store 931GB of user data on the drive because the boot loader, operating system, and file systems consume space for their needs to allow you to store data on the drive.

You really are getting 1000mm, but you can’t use them cause of the side rails and gantry.

How is it a bad choice? The name says X and you get Y. That was more of my point. Why you don’t get 1TB of user accessible and usable space is irrelevant…you don’t get it because of overhead. Why do you not get 1000mm of usable cut area on the Xcarve? Mechanical overhead.

I will however edit my post so as to not confuse.

Your computer measures a TB as 1024^4 (1099511627776 bytes) and HD marketing measures them as 1000^4 (1000000000000 bytes). That, and a small amount of formatting overhead are the difference.

1 Like

AdamNorris, post:7
thanks for an appropriate answer. when you buy the 1000mm by 1000mm x-carve you are buying a machine with the rails that are 1000mm long. this is not the cutting area but the actual length of the maker-slides. very well explanation without ridicule.