10mm belts

I just upgraded my belts to 10mm and just found out that I need to recal need to recal for the belts. my x or y axis is off. I selected 1 in. to move the spindle for Zeroing and it moves about 1.5in. tech support said I needed to set up some kind of code , G100 or something like that. I have no idea what that is. I was told someone in the forum named Larry Jennet ? had an acticle on how to set this up. I don’t understand these people who sell these upgrade kits should inform people about the maybe changes needed. I for one would not have bought this upgrade.

Any help would be appreicated.

Your $100 and $101 settings need to be 2/3 of what they are. You probably went from 2mm pitch belts to 3mm, so your travel is 1.5 times further per step of the motor.
In Easel, go to the machine inspector and type $$. That will give you your grbl settings. The X axis steps per mm is stored in the $100 parameter. Y is $101 and Z is $102
Lets say your setting is currently 250.000 for the X. You jog 1", but the machine moves 1.5". Take that 250 and multiply by 0.6667 to get 166.667.
You would enter $100 = 166.667 and do the same for $101.
You could repeat the procedure until you have it dialed in perfectly.

Expected distance ÷ actual distance × current $ value = new $ value.

4 Likes

I would only add to @NeilFerreri1’s advice by saying you’ll get a more precise value by calibrating over large distances. Start by using short distances (i.e. no more than a few inches, as you’re already doing), that way you don’t accidentally cause the machine to crash when it tries to move 45 inches instead of the 30 you commanded. When you get things dialed in fairly close at those distances, then go for longer ones, and you can make the minor adjustments (i.e. compensating for +/- 0.1 inch on a 10, 20, or 30 inch move).

Also, your $100 and $101 values will likely be slightly different. Part of the reason most X-Carve owners go through this procedure is because none of us will be tensioning our belts precisely the same, so the number of belt teeth across the entire length of either axis isn’t constant across all machines (or between axes even on the same machine). This also means you’ll generally end up with a very small amount of “skew” as the y-axis moves further away from machine-zero (the “bottom” of the work area), as either y-axis belt is likely going to be tensioned slightly differently.

edit

This video has been shared several times before on the forum. It’s a great how-to.