12x12 vacuum table

How well does this hold? I see the drill in the one picture, why didn’t you have the X-Carve do the holes?

I did them by hand because I don’t have a 1/16" collet for the 611.

How thick is the material with the holes?

.77"

That would be tough…maybe making the top thinner and using an endmill to drill the holes.

My 1/16" endmills can only cut 1/4".

Just make sure the top doesn’t flex at all.

Would have to leave a support structure on the bottom piece which doesn’t restrict airflow.

On this one, the top cavity is 1/8 deep and 1/4 deep on the bottom for a total of 3/8. It’s very solid all around.

McMaster sells a 1/6" drill bit with a 1/8" shank: part number 2841A94

This is just about what I was looking for, was wondering if it could be done this way. Need a way to hold down items without clamps getting in the way.

Do you plan on posting the easel file for this? That would be awesome.

Shop vacuums are great for this - a decent one can pull ~2 psi vacuum. That’s 72 lbs of force on a 6"x6" workpiece. You just have to be careful to bypass enough airflow to keep the motor cooled. If it is deadheaded for a long duration it could overheat.

Do you notice a big difference with or without the extra grid on top? I’m building my own and the pull is so strong without the grid I’m wondering if I need the extra grid. Also if the peice your cutting doesn’t cover the full size of the vacuum table do you lose a lot of suction? Do you just cover the extra holes? Thanks in advance!

the grid is gone after surfaced the top. I normally just cover the extra holes with some paper.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Great work!

@JDM

Hey jdm so I am building a vacuum table like this today and I was curious did you design this in easel? or a program like fusion 360? I am just curious on your milling strategy

2d Pocket or 2d adaptive clearing?

I did it in Easel

@JDM

oh very nice I got the super size version coming along in fusion 360

You have to selcet all and set your depths as you need to cut

just hit control a and you will see all the lines