15w laser upgrade questions

Some plastics create toxic fumes so PC may be out on the laser as you said.

Cutting polycarbonate with a CO2 laser works, but the edges of the cut are charred and smell horrible. Even with an enclosure and ventilation it stunk up the room. Separating the parts leaves an oily smelly residue on you hands, though it is easily cleaned up with soap and water.

1 Like

I purchased a similar 15W laser from AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-Diode-Laser-15W-15000mW-Focusable-Blue-Laser-Module-450-445nm-with-TTL-Driver-for/32757380573.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.03ASzf) with TTL input control.

The X-Controller’s PWM output is doing nothing to the laser via the TTL input. The laser won’t turn on at all. If I provide 5V directly to the TTL input the laser lights up, so I know the LED is okay and the controller board has some functionality.

I suspect the PWM frequency of the X-Controller (stated elsewhere on this board as 7.819kHz,) is incorrect. The JTech laser for X-Carve is described as 1kHz (OK, what's the solution for PWM to a laser?). I see 9kHz described above.

There is some discussion of how to change GRBL’s PWM frequency here: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable but I’d love to have a better theory of what to change it to if anyone has a good guess. I’ve messaged the seller, but am skeptical about the likelihood of a useful reply.

Thanks,
–tim

1 Like

TTL logic is on/off. You have to have an appropriate laser controller to modulate the current to the laser.

You can use your laser with on/off control by using an S word value that is sufficiently high to cause the PWM signal to be 100 percent duty cycle to cause a TTL high signal.

What that speed value is, is dependent on the version of grbl you are running.

For 1.0c, if you have $31 set to 0. and $30 set to 1. (note the decimal point) then M3 S1 (or any value larger than 1) would turn the laser on, and M5 or S0 would turn the laser off.

1 Like

LarryM,
Thank you, I am using the controller provided with the laser to modulate the power to the laser with the PWM signal from the X-Controller. The TTL input available on the laser controller should be allowing me to duty cycle the laser for effective current modulation.

My primary issue was user error in that, when wiring the TTL plug I used the wrong side of the provided plug cable (which I’d cut in half,) and wired the TTL polarity backward. Having fixed that, the PWM signal is now able to turn the laser on and off via M3 and M5 commands.

The S value is not managing to provide a variable level of output. S1200 and S18000 both provide the same (apparent) power level. M3 S0 provides no power, so I am getting a response to the command. Even M3 S1 turns the laser (as best as I can observe,) fully on.

If I’m providing an inappropriate frequency to the controller (especially if it’s expecting 1kHz like the JTech and I’m providing 7.819kHz,) it’s not unreasonable that I’m getting the response I see. I’ll probably build myself a little arduino variable frequency PWM rig and see if I can find the sweet spot before whacking at the GRBL.

Thanks!
–t

@TimDeagan

Try this instead:

https://discuss.inventables.com/t/xcarve-jtech-grbl-update-11-12-2016/28943

2 Likes

Sweet, thanks! I’m currently on [1.0c.20161011:] so that should be a big help.
–t

1 Like

LarryM, thanks to a note you made downthread in the other thread you pointed me at, I noticed that my current $30 was set to 1. Changing it to $30=18000 makes the current setup work as intended!!!

I’ll still change to the JTech fork but knowing that the rig works is wonderful! I have a full set of 3D models printed for mounting the 15W laser and I’ll be posting them.

Thanks again!
–t

2 Likes

The mounts for the 15w laser, controller and power supply that I published are now up on Thingiverse: X-Carve 15w Laser Mounting Set by tdeagan - Thingiverse

can you engrave on metal with your 15w? the ali express link says it can’t, but the ones on eBay say it does, there’s some videos that show it working on stainless. just want to be sure before I purchase one

When engraving metal with a laser you need to look at the wavelength of the laser more than the power. Each metal reflects different wavelengths of light better than others. How much energy it takes to etch the metal will depend on the reflectivity of your wavelength and how fast the metal dissipates heat.

I was curious about using a hobby grade CO2 laser to etch circuit boards, but it’s next to impossible at that wavelength. I had access to a 50W Epilog laser. With the power set to 100% and travel to 1% the laser left no discernable marks on a 1/2 oz copper board. After testing I looked up the reflectivity of copper to 10,600 nm light and it was nearly 100%.

https://darklylabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115005973627-Marking-stainless-steel-with-lasers-and-mustard-Seriously-

2 Likes

I can kinda-sorta engrave metal with the 15W. If I coat the metal with a black permanent marker or somesuch, I’ve been able to do light engraving on steel. I suspect I could improve it with multiple passes.

I do have one of the K40 China Lasers, and Drymoly will also have some success. It doesn’t really engrave as much as just burns a darn near hard to get off coating.

Hi ,
I’m also planing to buy the “High Power Diode Laser 15W/15000mW” from AliExpress and use it on my CNC with GRBL shield. I can’t find too much about this laser diode and the description is generic one, the seller used same description for different models.
Is it possible to cut felt 1mm thick? How about a soft plywood 4mm? what is the speed and what’s the quality of the cut? If anyone has videos with this module cutting different materials please help.
Cheers

Take note that this diode cannot deliver a continuous 15 watts. It can attain 15 watts for brief periods with sufficient cool down times between pulses.

Most of these diodes are capable of around 5 - 6 watts continuous.

Is there any video with this module working on different materials? Couldn’t find any.

I did some tests with this 15w laser diode module - unfocused version.

I’ve got the smallest laser dot at a distance of 20 - 25mm

• Cut cardboard 0.6 mm thick (280gsm) - one pass 50mm/minute, full power; It was faster to go 2 passes at 400mm/minute
  • Cut soft plywood 3 mm - 2 passes 100mm/minute
  • Cut felt 2 mm (any color but not white) = 1 pass 100 mm/minute; it is faster to go two times at 300 - 400mm/minute depending on the material color.
    Engraving is fast and clean.
    From my cutting tests I can say it is not that strong compared to an old 2-4 W diode and probably a drag knife is much better compromise between diode and CO2 when it comes about cutting thin materials.
    Anyone else did other tests with this diode?

The trick to cutting any plastic is to do a minimal cut.
Meaning you keep the power low as possible and make multiple passes. This will reduce the burnt edges.
I do not have the unit I had so I cannot give you settings. However I did get clean cuts by cutting with lower power.
It will take longer to cut but results will be cleaner.

I´m designing a huge láser mounted over a tailor table, t-slot based linear movement and 15w diode laser.
This láser is intended to cut poliester fabric, 0,6mm thickness. My major question is about cut speed, in the comments above Cosmin said he cuts 0,6mm cardboard at 50mm/min with full power, this is too slow for me, I need at least over 50mm/sec. Do you think is possible to achieve this goals?