15w laser upgrade questions

I purchased a similar 15W laser from AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-Diode-Laser-15W-15000mW-Focusable-Blue-Laser-Module-450-445nm-with-TTL-Driver-for/32757380573.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.03ASzf) with TTL input control.

The X-Controller’s PWM output is doing nothing to the laser via the TTL input. The laser won’t turn on at all. If I provide 5V directly to the TTL input the laser lights up, so I know the LED is okay and the controller board has some functionality.

I suspect the PWM frequency of the X-Controller (stated elsewhere on this board as 7.819kHz,) is incorrect. The JTech laser for X-Carve is described as 1kHz (OK, what's the solution for PWM to a laser?). I see 9kHz described above.

There is some discussion of how to change GRBL’s PWM frequency here: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable but I’d love to have a better theory of what to change it to if anyone has a good guess. I’ve messaged the seller, but am skeptical about the likelihood of a useful reply.

Thanks,
–tim

1 Like