1600w Cyclone Vacuum/Dust Extractor

Hi, well after learning how not to setup the x-carve, how not to secure the material and how not to accurately configure the machine zero, I finally began work on my first x-carve project.

I’m building a 1600w vacuum which will sit on a DLX Dust Commander cyclone. The first assembly is complete, barring polishing the components, and here are a couple of snaps.

This is the top filter assembly which houses a Dyson allergy hepa filter. The top and bottom plates are secured together using M3 machine bolts and M3 nyloc nuts, recessed on each side. On the under side I have recessed four 5mm pockets for neodymium magnets. They will allow easy attachment to the central motor assembly. The whole system will reside inside a 6 inch soil pipe (new, no previous owners). I’ll post some more snaps as the remaining assemblies come together, and the design files if anyone is interested to try something similar. The primary material is 7.8mm thick cast acrylic which was being thrown out at work; seemed a shame to waste it!

Happy new year!


Just finished machining the mounting plates for the lower filter. Much polishing yet to be done, so please excuse the grubby finger marks.

Lower side

Upper side

Now to mill out the motor mounting plates…this is turning into a long job, but very satisfying.


That looks very good! You seem to have the machine working well.

Thanks Erik, I’ve spent a good deal of time setting up the machine and work area, calibrating and experimenting with different methods of fixing down the material and different mill ends. Surprisingly mounting the dust collection hose in the right orientation and placement was the most tricky thing to get right. The hose is quite stiff (because it needs to be or it will implode) and I found it could interfere with the y axis travel. Hopefully I’ve got it sorted now but there is definitely room for a bright idea from someone. Possibly a telescopic mechanism, though suction bleed through the joints would demand a strong seal of some kind, which would likely provide undue resistance. I’ll think on it and keep and eye on the forums for better solutions.

To ease the calibration process I’m going to build a simple bracket from 5mm acrylic which will attach to the rear side of the spindle mount. I’ve changed the mounting bolts to leave enough extra thread to fix to. The bracket will allow easy attachment of a vertical needle to calibrate x and y axis, and my digital micrometer for the z axis. It should make the calibration process much quicker and accurate.

I plan to update this post as the build progresses, though I travel a lot for work so it will likely be intermittent. Hopefully I’ll have it finished over a few weekends.

Thanks again.

My hose is attached to the ceiling with a bungee cord to keep it out of the way and without putting pressure on any axis.

That gives me an idea, thanks Erik.

1 Like

Sweet deal! Looks great, and a plus when you can use materials or items that are being thrown out.

Thanks Kinnith, I hate to see good material go to waste.