1st start up - Y axis no movement issue in machine setup

Did you mean to say that the gShield x axis driver is working and the Y axis driver is working? Because when hooking it up to the Y to the x-axis on the gshield the machine moved in the Y direction whereas the Y axis driver did not move in the x direction.

When I disconnected I disconnected the 4 wires on the right side if you were facing the machine. I did however reconnect them prior to the test so both of the Y motors are confirmed working.

Iā€™m with @LarryM, the wiring looks fine. A little frayed, but fine.

EDIt- Nevermindā€¦sounds like a bad driver.

Brad, I am a novice at this but based on Larrys gShield reversal test it seems the problem is in the Y driver

-Edit yup lol

lol you caught me mid post.

:slight_smile: So sounds like I need to send the gShield back?

This is always confusing.

Your response said that, with the change, the X axis worked but the Y axis didnā€™t.

So, what you had was the Y axis (machine) hooked to the X axis (gShield) which would indicate that the problem didnā€™t move when you reversed the wires.

If the problem moved from the Y axis (machine) to the X axis (machine) then that would indicate a bad Y driver chip on the gShield.

Is that what happened?

2 Likes

lol, yes imagine me as a noob following what you are saying.

But yes you are correct when I changed the wires between the drivers the problem moved.

So I imagine I will need to send the gshield back then?

Yep, You can add that along with the fan.

Bad gShield.

Call them. They will most likely just send you a new one.

edit

Great I was thinking that as well.

One last question, Does this sound right when I start the power supply? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MK8gF2dH78&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like it is coming from the Z motor (it is I can feel the
vibration) but I notice the screeching goes away when I move the X
motor in easel ?

Unfortunately my hearing is not that good. I canā€™t hear what you are referring to in the video. I hear some hum, but not much else.

Take a look at this video to see if that helps you with the sounds that the X-carve makes:

Ok thanks Larry, calling it a nite

Me too. Jump back in here if you have more problems.