2 Sided carving alignment

I build guitars and 2 sided carving is needed on everything I make What is the best way to get consistent alignment when flipping the pieces over. I currently use a corner jigand it gets close but not as precise as I would like it, anybody have a better way of doing this?

I think a lot of people use dowel pins to line it up from side to side.

1 Like

yes that would be the easiest way

I have been cncing guitar parts for about 15 years now. I make the bottom of the centerline my X0 and Y0. That way I have a glue joint or a centered pencil line for bodies when flipping them over. For necks, I always cut the truss rod first in the neck wood. I have a matching slot with a strip that I use on the table. Think of a keyway and key in a shaft, and how that fits. That indexs the neck on center. I use the X0Y0 at the bottom of the neck too. Because the Xcarve has a tendency to shift during a tool change, I home if after each bit is installed and then rezero. I use a Dremel pointed burr to rezero on the mark. I’ve tried dowels and find them less than satisfactory for the accuracy I’m trying to achieve. This is a auxiliary board that is double sided duct taped down and leveled before I start carving the necks. You can see a groove the width of a skunk stripe is machined into it.

This is ready for the stick that fits into the groove to do the fretboard side.

This is my Dremel burr used to locate the point for 0,0. I use it in an adaptor for 1/4" bits.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1-4-in-Pointed-Triangle-Shaped-High-Speed-Cutter-for-Wood-Plastic-and-Soft-Metals-2-Pack-125/203641150

What design program do you use?

I started out with Rhino3D about 15 years ago. I never felt the need to try another because it does everything I need it to do. It’s pretty powerful.

1 Like

How do you get the back oh the neck curvature I’m going to try to start doing necks but not sure how you get than part programmed and run

I had this nice tutorial and then the photobucket guys decided to hold it for ransom. Basically I drew arcs and then created surfaces from them. This was done in Rhino. Maybe you can make out some of the details .