2 stage roughing cut for outline cut out problems

I am having trouble doing a 2 stage cut out and then detail inside the cut out. I want to use an 1/8 inch bit for a roughing bit. It keeps using the 1/16 detail bit to do the whole thing which extends the job 4x.

What software are you using?

If Easel this should help … https://inventables.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2076183-walkthrough-tutorial-two-stage-carves-roughing-and-detail-carves-

Yeah I have looked at that a few times. I read somewhere that easel doesnt like doing 2 stage jobs when you have detail inside and then you are cutting out with a roughing bit.

I am using easel.

Another option is to do 2 “workpieces”…

have one workpiece do the roughing part… and then the next job does the detail…

Ok. So I can keep the piece clamped in and keep the same home point and then carry on with the cut?

you got it…

Yes. Finish part 1 and click in Workpiece 2 and hit Carve, Use Last Home and you are good.

Sweet thanks Ron. I will give that a shot. I really appreciate it bud!

Thanks all!

Just for clarification, because I got confused:

1 workpiece is a 2 stage carve of your “inside” details. Uses a roughing and detail bit.

1 workpiece is just the cut out of the whole design. This uses whatever size bit you want to use to cut out and is a single bit.

You can keep the material clamped in and only probe/change the bit changes for Z.

X and Y can be kept the same unless the carriage is moved during bit change.

EDIT separated the X and Y comment so it wouldn’t be read as a long run on. It’s two thoughts. Always rezero the Z.

Awesome. Thanks a lot Justin. I really appreciate it.

Be careful when using the same “zero” location on multiple work pieces. The bit needs to be the same length. I tried to do a multiple work piece carve using a .25 bit then a .0625 bit. The .0625 bit was shorter (amount sticking out of the spindle) so when it started the second piece, it “air carved”. I had to stop and re-zero.

Continuing to learn lessons,

Donnie

You should always re-zero your Z when changing bits. It will almost never be the same Z height.

2 Likes

Zeroing the AXIS is so important.
I am so glad that I got the Zero block From Charlie. :slight_smile: