2nd Dewalt 611 Cracked Spindle Need Advice!

I’d like to go that rout myself. Looks like the warranty is 1 year fee service and 3 year limited. When they replace the spindle it’s actually the whole armature and all so your basically getting a new router.

wow I hope I do not run into that situation.

Now i have the same problem,

When i try to tighten the collet, it bottoms out with both 1/4 and 1/8 shaft bits. using the collet that came with the router

I got a new collet set from Precise Bits, haven’t had a problem yet.

I just ordered my new collet from them, I will send this router back for warranty and buy a new one for back up

I did the same thing, just a note on Lowes, they will price match plus 10% on any item. I found the router about 10 bucks cheaper from another store. Ended up getting the extended warranty, think it was $20.00 covers EVERYTHING for 2 years after the manufacture warranty is up.

1 Like

thanks for the info

Just happened to me as well. I originally thought it was the collet, ordered a 1/4’’ and a n 1/8’’ from Elair but it didn’t fix the runout problem. After looking REAL close at my spindle I saw that crack. Still under warranty. Going to take it to the Dewalt service center and in the meantime get a new one from Lowes. I can always use a stand-alone router, plus I’ll have a spare.

I have a need for the nut on the end of the Dewalt 611 spindle. I have always had a difficult time removing the collet to change bits, so I have designed a tool where I thread a nut on the spindle, install my tool, and back off of the nut to remove the collet. I went to the local fastener place, and they said it was a strange thread, not metric or inch. I would like to buy the spindle nut if anyone is going to trash their 611, or if someone knows the thread specifications, I would just like to have a nut that fits. It is sad that there are these Dewalt 611 issues. Thanks

I noticed my spindle was burning bits and a closer inspection confirmed the spindle was not running true, an even closer inspection revealed that I too had a cracked thread/spindle.

I’m in the UK and I bought it from Amazon in July last year so it’s still in warranty, so I’ll look into that and report back.

Photo of said crack

Are you using the stock collet?

I’m using the stock collet, but with a 1/8 insert that came with the robosavvy.com mount.

I also use a 6mm collet from tooled-up.com.

Edit: Just been chatting to Amazon and they will issue a full refund on return of the item.

I broke 2 spindles, pretty sure it was the stock collet. I switched to the Precise Bits collet and have not had a problem since.

Yeah, I’ve just been looking at Precision 1/8 Collet it’s a little pricey!

I’m afraid the postage will, I’m in the UK. Thanks though :slight_smile:

OK, I’ve ordered 1/8, 1/4 and 6mm collets, total cost of $71 or £51. Thanks again @anonymous (don’t tell the missus)

Just found out today, that I also have a cracked spindle. It was suddenly not cutting clean, or accurate for size. The bits were getting hot as well.
After checking all my belts, pulleys and screws, I finally tried checking the run-out on the spindle. After a couple of tests and a close examination, I found the crack.
I am going to contact Dewalt about warranty, (I bought it last November). If it’s warrantied and how long it takes, decides if I have to go get a new one.

I have not had a crash, and I use an Elair 1/8 collet and the stock 1/4 collet. I have read, today, some posts recommending not to use the stock collet at all. Are there any concerns about the Elair collets?
I am debating about whether to get the Elair 1/4 collet, or order a set of both Precision Collets.

Any advice?

I don’t know if it was the stock dewalt collet or the Elair but I got the set from Precise Bits. It’s a bit pricey but its been great and the guys there are GREAT!

1 Like

Hi Guys

Just a heads up, inventables has been a big help replacing these things when it’s under warranty.
Also at the site I teach at we have had 3/3 of these things break in the same way. After the first, I’ve been real careful with tool changes and it still happened.

I was using the collet adapters that came from inventables (the ones where you put a 1/8" bit and it makes it fit the 1/4" collect) and a bunch of downcutting endmills that all measured in at 0.1250". Something is definitely weird. If this keeps happening I would encourage inventables to recommend adding the 1/8" collet to the recommended items to purchase with these x-carves.
I personally use a makita trim router on my cnc at home, and haven’t had an issue like this yet, but you know what they say about a sample size of one…