3 Axis Automatic Zero for X-Carve

Spoken like a Happy Triquetra User!!

Hope everyone that has been thinking about buying a Triquetra Touch Plate knows that I am having a Fathers Day Sale on them. $50.00 (Plus Shipping) for the complete kit. Touch Plate, Wiring, Data Disks. That’s a shade over 33% off. The Sale is good through 6/20/17.

Charley

Triquetra Tool Box Important Update Available

_

Before you download the update be sure to backup your data with the Export Database Button on the Main Menu of the Triquetra Tool Box. You can restore it after the update is completed by using the Import Database Button. Failure to do this can result in a loss of all you data!! You should also click the About Button on the Main Menu and write down your order number and serial number. You will probably need these to re-activate the updated version!

_

I have recently started getting support requests for the Triquetra Tool Box that is suddenly generating g-code files that don’t work and cause errors in both GRBL machines and Mach3 machines. I discovered that since the last major Windows 10 Update, the files are now being saved as UTF8 Encoding which basically means that it is saving hidden characters that define different formatting options for the document such as font type and paragraph formatting.

This issue has now been addressed and the Tool Box software has been updated. The update is available on my website. Here is a direct link to the download page.

Triquetra Tool Box Download

Happy Zeroing,

Charley Thomas
Triquetra CNC

Well I had a self inflicted error and ruined my block and magnet but Charlie helped me out with what I need and more and should be good to go. Thanks again Charlie

1 Like

Gotta take care of my customers, right!!

2 Likes

@CharleyThomas
Is there any way to program the machine probe direction?

Big shout out to Charley for helping me try to resolve my UGS issue. While I’m waiting to hear back on a few things, does anyone use Charley’s touch plate (and specifically the generated g-code in plain text) on a Mac with UGS?

I can get UGS to jog my machine, run other simple Gcode macros and files, but for some reason I cannot get the 3-axis zeroing g-code to send in UGS through either pasting in as a macro (from TextEdit) or opened as a file in plain .txt format.

I always unlock the machine through ‘$X’ and reset all three axes before trying the g-code and when I send it, the machine console shows the ‘Sent’ and ‘Ok’ boxes unchecked and the machine doesn’t move.

Has anyone encountered this before? Thoughts?

Yes you absolutely can. If you are using my software then just open the zeroing g-code file and look for the two commands:

G38.2 X-1 F3 
      G38.2 Y-1 F3

Replace the X-1 with X1 and the Y-1 with Y1 The “1” in these commands is the distance the machine will travel while probing before it stops searching and can be changed to any value you like.

You can do the same for the Z axis if needed (G38.2 Z-1 F3)

If you want to email me the file you want to edit I would be happy to make the changes for you and send it back. Just send it to me at charleyntexas@gmail.com

Charley

It is possible to create long macro strings that can be inserted into the macro slots of UGS for zeroing, however, just copying multiple lines of text from the zeroing g-code file will not work. You would have to insert special characters to break up the commands so they don’t run together.

With the zeroing g-code files, be sure that the files are being saved using ANSI Encoding with Windows Notepad or other plain text editor. The default for Windows 10 is now UTF8 Encoding which adds hidden characters that you don’t see but UGS does. These are weird characters that contain information about font and paragraph formatting and UGS has a brain freeze when it see those. This holds true for Mach3 Script as well.

I am noticing “?” in the g-code. Is this normal?
UGS doesn’t like them and I have to remove them to make the files work.

No it is not normal. Since a recent Windows Update, Windows is saving g-code files with UTF8 Encoding. That Encoding method includes hidden characters that identify various details about the document being saved such as the font used and other paragraph formatting. You don’t see them when you view the document but UGS does, and doesn’t like it either.

To fix this with current g-code files you can open them with Windows Notepad and resave them using ANSI Encoding. No other editing required. See picture below:

I have also addressed this in the latest version of the Triquetra Tool Box which now forces ANSI Encoding of the G-Code files when they are created. This also affects Mach3 script and has also been resolved with the latest version of the Triquetra Tool Box Software. If you have the online version you should have received a notification that an update is available. If you declined the update or have the offline version you can get the latest version of the software here:

https://triquetra-cnc.com/triquetra-tool-box-version-finder/

Hey Charley, great tool you created there.
Could you tell me how much shipping to germany would be?
Edit: ah $33.95
Thats quite a lot :frowning:

Yes, $33.95. I wish I could make it cheaper to get there but the cheapest I have been able to come up with us through the US Post office using their Priority Mail Flat rate box. Some international destinations are actually higher than that but to keep it simple I just use the flat rate of $33.95 for worldwide shipping with the exception of Canada which is $24.95 and the US, US Territories, including Military APO and FPO’s which is $7.15.

I can manage to pack the entire Touch Plate Kit and a Y Axis lift kit in one box for the same shipping fee. I don’t offer the Y Axis lift kit on it’s own to ship internationally because of the high shipping costs. The lift kit is $42.50 and if I shipped it overseas then the total would almost double. By including it with a touch plate order there is no additional shipping added which makes it more affordable.

Thanks for your interest,

Charley Thomas
Triquetra CNC

Charley,
USPS has a Priority C box for in-state and your state’s border states for a lower shipping cost.
Your products have greatly increased my repeatability when changing bits.
Thanks

I will check with the post office and see about that. I would love to offer a lower cost shipping option.

Glad to hear that the Triquetra Touch Plate is working well for you. I’m still using the first one I ever made and it is perfect every time!! Gotta love it!

Reminder to everyone:
Probing is only as accurate as your bit measurements.

Too bad there is not a person living in Germany that could mill the touch plate on behalf of Charley. Then you can get it cheaper…
I do not live in Germany so I couldn’t do it.

1 Like

I did have a person in Europe volunteer to be a staging point and forward orders for me but the costs were prohibitive.

charley

Beat the Heat Sale Starts Today 8/5/2017

The New Look. Paint filled engraving of the Logo