3 Axis Automatic Zero for X-Carve

I find that my 3axis touch plate is too thick for many of my projects. When carving 1/4" stock and thinner it’s of no use because the ‘inside’ height is too high. Could you make one thinner to work with thin material?

I had a request from a guy that was milling PCB’s a while back. I made him one from 1/2 inch thick stock that was milled out less than 1/8 inch. I have 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch and 1 inch stock. I can make one from any of those and mill the back side out to your specs. Just let me know what you need and I will make it happen for you.

With thinner material it becomes more difficult to position your bit for zeroing the X and Y axis. If you are engraving with a V bit you may have to zero with a regular end mill to get the X and Y axis and then change to your V bit and zero just the Z axis. I have done this more than once and it works fine that way.

Charley Thomas
Triquetra CNC

This is very true. That is why the Triquetra Tool Box has a Fine Tuning page. I created that so you could adjust your final zero position and then be able to repeat it each time you zero all three axis. That way you can make your X Y Z zero as accurate as you like. It’s easy to do and there is even a video link on the Fine Tuning page to show you how.

Charley

2 Likes

Yes

I didn’t know you made smaller ones. I too like to do smaller items and find it hard with the large plate.

I can make them from 1/2 inch thick or 3/4 inch thick stock and mill the bottom pocket out to a shallower depth. I made one for a guy doing Printed Circuit Boards a while back with a a pocket just shy of 1/8 inch. Or I could use the same size stock and just make the pocket not so deep. The current version is less than .2 inches to allow plenty of room to zero 1/4 inch material.

The only problem with thinner stock is that if you are using a V-Bit it may make it impossible to zero to the shank. In that case you could zero with any Endmill and then switch to the bit of choice and re-zero just the Z axis and you would be all set.

I had a thought on that.
What if I made a mount that would allow me to install a bit that is the same height and shank diameter. Then all I would need is an offset value to make sure it knows where the bit is.
I could use this mounted bit to ensure the correct height and location. Then the app can automatically adjust for the offset.

There are lots of different ways to get to a X Y Z zero using a touch plate. When I am making the Touch Plates or Y axis end plates, I use some 1/4 inch aluminum hold down clamps that I made as bump stops. That way when I change to the next part I don’t have to re zero. The problem is when making the Y axis end plates they are the same height as the bump stop and the Touch Plate won’t fit to zero with. So all I do is put a piece of 1 inch thick stock against the bump stops, zero to it. This sets my X and Y Axis Zero. Then remove the 1 inch stock and replace it with the 1/4 inch stock that I am going to carve. Once the actual piece I am going to carve is in place I just put the touch plate on top of the new stock only upside down and zero just the z axis and I’m all set.

About every 4th part is send my bit to X Y Z Zero just to verify that it hasn’t changed any and keep on going. The Triquetra Touch Plate makes it easy and quick with no need for a second thinner touch plate.

This sale has ended and after a month long campaign the sales were outstanding. Now that the sale is over, I have re-activated the coupon code so Inventables Forum Members can still get 20% off on Triquetra Touch Plate orders as well as the Y axis lift kit orders. Use coupon code 3corners to get the discount at:
www.triquetra-cnc.com

1 Like

Thanks, I just placed an order for one a few nights ago. This item should have shipped with my x carve lol. SO many wasted hours…

I checked the tracking info and they probably should have been delivered today but since it is a postal holiday, they won’t arrive until tomorrow 10/10/17.

Charley

Charlie,

Do you think you can make one that will work with thick stock AND thin stock (1/4" & below). Maybe spin it around to a different corner or flip it upside down? If so, I would buy another one from you.

1 Like

That is an interesting request, and I don’t see why I couldn’t do it. I think the best way would be be to carve out both sides so you could just flip it over to fit the stock. One side would be the standard depth and the other side much shallower. How thick is the thin stock you work with?

This one won’t be as “pretty” with a logo but functional it would be. Or if you already have one I could just make a normal touch plate only not mill the pocket as deep. Then you would have two and you could use the one of your choice that meets your needs. Either way is ok by me.

Just let me know how deep to mill the shallow pocket. The normal one is about 0.18" deep so it will work with 0.25 inch thick material.

Charley

I suggested a thin block before, but didn’t think of just flipping it over. That’s a great idea.

How about letting us send you our current touch plate and you could carve a shallow side? I most often work with 1/4" - 1/8" stock, but cannot use the touch plate because it’s too thick.

That would be fine. If you will pay the postage both ways I will do it for free. Otherwise, the return postage is $7.15.

Send it to:

Triquetra CNC
1927 Collier Drive
Denison Texas 75020-1601

1 Like

I will try to send mine back to you sometime this week Charley so you can carve out my shallow side. I also carve thin stock (wood rulers & paint sticks) for my wife’s classroom crafts at her school. I’m also gonna have to invest in some better calipers or stronger glasses because at first I measured my touch plate’s XYZ axis 10 times and got 10 different measurements.

You really don’t need any calipers at all to measure your Touch Plate. You can use your CNC Machine to do it for you. Here’s how:

Step 1: Load Universal G-Code Sender or PicSender

Step 2: Place your Touch plate upside down on your machine with the wires connected to the touch plate and spindle. Make sure that the touch plate X and Y axis are aligned as square as possible to the machine

Step 3: Jog your bit so that it is almost touching the touch plate on the X axis on the right side and then slide the touch plate over so that it is actually touching the bit.

Step 4: Without moving the touch plate, raise the Z axis up so that the bottom of the bit is just above the touch plate milled out portion but not above the milled out edges.

Step 5: Type these commands in the command line of your G-Code Sender and hit enter for each command: “G92 X0”. This will set your X axis position to zero. Then this command: “G38.2 X-2.5 F5”. The X Axis will move left until it touches the milled out edge of the touch plate and then stop. Look at your work position coordinates in your G-Code sender and it will show you how far it traveled in the negative direction. Drop the negative symbol and you will have the exact measurement of the X Axis.

Step 6: Repeat all the above for the Y axis and replace the letter X with the letter Y in the commands to get your Y axis measurement.

Step 7: For the Z Axis, with the touch plate right side up placed in a normal location so that the milled out area is flat against the material surface, position the bit above the touch plate and enter the following commands hitting enter after each one: “G92 Z0” then “G38.2 Z1 F3” then “G91 G0 Z0.1” then “G92 Z0.1”. This will set your Z axis at the top of your block and then raise it up 0.1 inches then set the work position at 0.1 inches.

Step 8: Carefully remove the touch plate and wires. Jog your Z axis down until it touches the surface that the touch plate was sitting on. Use a slip of paper under the bit and jog down until it is trapped tight enough that you can barely slide it out without tearing but it is impossible to slide it back under the bit. A piece of candy wrapper works well for this. Now read your Z position and you will have your Z Axis measurement.

And you thought CNC Machines were only for carving!!

Charley Thomas
Triquetra CNC

5 Likes

Hey, I keep getting the error

G38.2 X-2.5 F5
(ALARM:4) Probe fail. Probe is not in the expected initial state before starting probe cycle when G38.2 and G38.3 is not triggered and G38.4 and G38.5 is triggered.(ALARM:4) Probe fail. Probe is not in the expected initial state before starting probe cycle when G38.2 and G38.3 is not triggered and G38.4 and G38.5 is triggered.
Error while processing response : An unexpected command was completed by the controller.

@AndrewPearson Try these small g-code files in place of manually typing in the commands. There is one for each Axis. The Z Axis Measurent file will find the top of the touch plate and set that as your starting point and then raise up slightly to allow you to remove the touch plate. It will take the upwards movement into account when jogging down so when you reach the surface it will be correct.

All of these files are for measuring in Inches Only. To change it to Millimeters edit the first line of code to read G21 instead of G20

Measure_X_Axis.txt (48 Bytes)
Measure_Y_Axis.txt (48 Bytes)
Measure_Z_Axis.txt (75 Bytes)

Charley Thomas
Triquetra CNC

Thanks for getting back with me so fast. I tried the z-Axis file and I keep getting the same error. I have turned off my homing via “$22=0” and even tried with it on and still the same. I went as far as unplugging my homing switches (they never worked for me anyway) and tried again and still the same error. I’m using UGS and chillipeppr and both are doing the same thing. Is there some way I can do this within easel?