$366 on ebay

I see absolutely no reason Scott’s post should have been flagged here. Looks like another candidate for Black Sheep CNC. Its getting pretty bad here.

that is a K40 as far as I can see.

Just with some added whistles and bells. The K40 has been known to have lots of different versions.

The guts and mechanics will probably be exactly the same as any other.

Assuming you want to add the laser to your XC, rather than the laseraxe 7W, you could go with the 10W or 12W from Amazon… although the 10W and 12W cannot be focused, so I suspect it’s merely a matter of Z height adjustment. The others can be focused.

$259 for the 10W seems really affordable…

https://www.amazon.com/SUNWIN-Pulse-Module-Universal-Engraver/dp/B01I69U2SG?th=1

1 Like

Thanks. It’s an inspiring site;

So, after some Q&A and a little more research, looks like both the 10W and 12W models are not only fixed focal length, but they’re also pulse and they have a sustainable power rating between 5.5w and 6w.

Based on that, looks like the LaserAxe 7W model is about $70 cheaper than the same model on eBay and Amazon.

I may have to try out the 7W… I’ll report back after

1 Like

Thanks, and that’s great advice. I’m not pulling the trigger quite yet, I have the J.Tech 3.8w and as you said, I have a ton more research before I spend any more $. I clicked reply on my last post prematurely. I meant to say I’d report back after more research… :slight_smile:

As it stands right now, I’m exceptionally happy with the J.Tech, Jay has been a pleasure to work with, his customer service and communication is top notch, and if it were possible to put multiple of his laser on the machine to get me better cutting power, I’d do it in a minute. As for the 7w Sunwin laser, I’m not entirely convinced that even if it were twice as powerful as the JTech I would buy it, given the complete lack of any real documentation or support.

I like the idea of the K40, and I’d even be OK with upgrading to the 50W or 60W version, but the machine size is a bit of a non starter. I’m spoiled with a 1000x1000 work area. To get that same capacity w\ a 40W or larger would take quite a bit of work, or money, or both. I’m a tinkerer, so I don’t mind having to add things to the K40, but I’m still put off by the size.

Do I have an answer, nope, but I am going to research the hell out of this problem and hopefully come up with something that doesn’t cost $20,000 or take me 6 months to modify \ build.

I think you’ve convinced me Robert.

All the pluses that the JTech offers, plus all the positive reviews, have me now leaning toward the JTech. Thanks for helping me with this :+1:

ScottW, About how long do those take you to engrave, the bigger ones?

Is this a trait of all laser cutters, or only the JTech?

If only the JTech, then what “specification” determines how efficient a laser engraver is? Wattage?

Laser diode (not J-Tech) @ 2.2 amps. 6.75 minutes ea. to cut out from 1/8 inch Cherry wood. When I can add better air assist will be faster. Not near as fast as CO2, but OK for me.

2 Likes

Depends on detail and settings of the image I’m engraving. Anywhere from 15 to 45min for an 11in sign.

Not great Robert, but good enough for me. No where near 6 watts (I wish). Takes 6 passes.

And you are spot on, it is just my opinion. YMMV.

The narrow focus field is a limiting factor for all laser diodes, regardless of power.

Thats not too bad, thanks ScottW, Im gonna do a little more research before I decide to buy one of these, looks very interesting!

Came across this today. He made a 40w into a 1000 x 600mm

It does a decent job engraving acrylic but only in certain colors. It does not like clear for example.

1 Like

Yep. Being in the visible light spectrum the beam passes right through the acrylic and burns whatever you are using as a spoil board.

1 Like

Several people have tried many things. You can get it to work but the quality just isn’t there.

Has anyone tried to etch acrylic with the 3.xW laser while leaving the polyfilm on the acrylic? It leaves a residue but goo-gone will clean that up. The polyfilm might help.

I cut, etch and outline a lot of different plastics at work with a 150w machine. Not sure how a 3.xW performs.

Some films emit some really bad gas when burned, and careful research is strongly recommended before burning any poly-like films and plastics.

2 Likes

Paper backed with the paper touching bed and clear side up cuts like butter. the cut edge resembles a 3d print buts its pretty smooth.

1 Like