3D Carving Show and Tell

Everyday :smile:

I power carve birds with a dremel. For cleanup of “fuzzies and such we often use a piece of 3M green Scotchbrite in a rotary bit (like the ones that hold grinding discs). Just cut it square about 1.25” x !1.25" and use slow speed and it will round itself and do a good job.

There are also small conical sanders that we also use in pawercarving that fit the Dremel.

Bob

1 Like

These are great ideas! I once used these and they worked great but you would need two for each “eagle” as they are not durable and SUPER expensive. Definitely trying both of these.

Sorry forgot the link: Woodturning Abrasives / Abrasive Discs / 3M Scotch-Brite Radial Bristle Discs

1 Like

How about steel wool?

I couldn’t resist trying at least an eagle head (only had a hour). I used one of the 3m wheels to debur it… and I didn’t realize I was cutting the piece from a laminated panel. Whoops. Still, it adds character. Thanks for the inspiration.

6 Likes

This looks really good. Do you mind sharing which of the 3M discs you used? I am going to buy them off the link you posted but wanted to make sure I ordered the right ones.
Thanks,
Keith

Very impressive, can you post the details of what software you used and what rough and detail bits you used. That is so far ahead of what I have been able to do I am very curious about how you made it,

I am offended you assumed I didn’t do it freehand with a paring knife.:0

I use V-Carve Pro and send the G-Code to Mach 3. V-Carve allows you to create g-code to machine 3d models from places like thingverse.com. It automatically sets up a tool chain for you. So, this was “roughed out” using a 1/4" end mill. Then the finishing detail was accomplished with an 1/8" ball nose end mill.

The 1/4" end mill was cutting at .125" depth and 30 inches per minute… I think I could have gone faster because this was just a pine panel, but I just finished modding my machine to make it more rigid, and am just dialing in my 600watt spindle so I took it slow. The ball nose bit then only had to make a single pass to carve out this level of detail. I don’t think it had to go any deeper than .05", the software is that good. It’s fascinating to watch.

V-Carve Pro is by far the best investment I’ve made (along with Mach3). The support, tutorials, newsletters, have really advanced my CNC capabilities. BUT I have not tried anything else so my opinion means little. I do know that it gives you unlimited control to adjust your depth of passes, create a tool and materials library, ramp your plunges, add tabs, do perfect V-Carving, import all manner of graphics… it does everything - EXCEPT - you cannot CREATE 3D models. You have to import them and then can manipulate them. You can create 2.5d models and projects, but you have to upgrade to Aspire for big dollars to design in 3d. The v-carving capability alone was worth the price in my opinion.

I thought I replied to this but it isn’t showing up. Just in case: It turns out these are not the 3M products. These are Dremel. And are still expensive, but this 36 grit seems more durable than the finer wheels. Use a light hand and it does a great job:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ471SA-36-Grit-Detail-Abrasive/dp/B002E9GUDG/ref=pd_sim_469_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=03CPXGJHV7DRBTVFKD3J

I need to look at V-Carve Pro again. I had looked at V-Carve Desktop and then forgot about it when I started being able to do more stuff with Easel.

Is VCarve Pro that much better than the desktop version?

I have heard lots (and lots) about Mach3 but I always thought it was for professional milling systems. I did not know it would work with Grbl,

Thank you for the information @Earwigger , sounds like I need to spend more money,

I am not sure it will work with GRBL. I use a generic breakoutboard with a parallel cable hooked to my computer. The breakout board (or BOB), drives stepper drivers.

Like this; http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Breakout-Board-Stepper-Driver/dp/B0093Y897A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435630368&sr=8-4&keywords=cnc+driver

Coupled with three of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-TB6600-Micro-Stepping-Stepper-Driver/dp/B00MQGSLNE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1435630504&sr=8-5&keywords=cnc+driver

Way more reliable and robust than an arduino based system. I have been playing with Arduino’s since they were first invented by Mossimo Banzi hisself, hisself. And I love them… I really do, but I can’t see using them for a CNC machine. Though, my first machine was arduino based it was an egg coloring robot (before the Eggbot, I might add).

Alan

Mach3 is no longer supported by the developers. They have moved on to Mach4. I believe that the cost of Mach4 is $200.00
Mach3 is limited to a computer running XP and needs a parallel port.

I plan on running my machine using a Linux computer and LinuxCNC. Linux and LinuxCNC are both free and being update at regular intervals.

Mach3, Mach4 and LinuxCNC all give you far better control of you machine confi. and give far better GUI

Dave

From what I recall, the main difference between their Pro and Desktop versions is that the Desktop version is limited to a project space of 24"x24" (600mm x 600mm). Mach3 doesn’t work with grbl, and I don’t think Mach4 supports it yet.

And I’m not sure I’d sing the praise of Mach3’s GUI, unless it’s still 2002… :wink:

Here are some Arduino appropriate projects. An automatic, 10 day limnological nutrient conveyance system (fish feeder). and an IR blasting Laser tag pistol (each gun has a unique signature and a centrally mounted scoreboard keeps track).

1 Like

I agree when I was running Mach3 on my converted HF mini mill I did not like the GUI. I changed the screen set to Mach Standard Mill, much better.
I also did not like the Mach3 screen set that my Tormach 770 came with so I also changed to the Mach Standard Mill screen set.
I do like the change to Linux and Path Pilot that Tormach made here a few month ago.

I would really love to figure out how to use the Path Pilot screen set on my X-Carve when I get it up and running.

Dave

I’m running Mach 3 on a windows 7 machine with an parallel port card. And the interface does look like a 1980 science fiction movie trying to guess what the future will hold. But it is sold, reliable and is infinitely more configurable than anything else I have tried. Millions of old codger machinists can’t be wrong.

1 Like

Didn’t know it would work on a windows 7 box. When I compare mach3 to linuxCNC and path pilot running on my 770 it is like night and day.

Dave

Did you have any trouble switching? I don’t have much bandwidth for a learning curve and at this point, Mach 3 feels like an old friend. The switch to Mach 4 is disconcerting though… I suppose I will have to make a move someday. Everytime you rebuild a machine, they have to send you a code for Mach3 that is specific to a computer. That is a drag too. Do you know of a good tutorial or demo videos for the linux based software you use?

As far as the conversion frm Mach3 to Path Pilot it was easy peasy. My CAM programs dealt with the change no problem.

Yes there are a lot of Youtube videos out on LinuxCNC and lots of info at Linux.com and linuxCNC.org
There is a learning curve when you are doing your own machine config. At 67 years old it does take a while for it to sink in.

Dave