3d curvy carve 3d adaptive strategy Fusion 360

Hello Carvers,

Wanted to push my machine a bit and see if i could get some cool organic shapes. Here is what i got.

Total z cut was 1". I used fusion 360 for cad and cam. The tool path was adaptive 3d. with the following settings:

On accident i pushed my x carve by setting roughing step down to .39". It actually handled it pretty well. Doing it again i would reduce it to .2". Carve took about 45 min in 1.75" thick pine.

5 Likes

Great stuff, looks like it turned out pretty well. What type of wood is that there? It’s especially neat to see another persons set-up via the X-Carve through Fusion360. Haven’t been using it for that long but I’ve been really impressed with the 360’s power/flexibility so far.

Are you using Easel for machine control still via the G-Code importer or some other software?

I’ve become proficient with the Sketchup->MeshCAM->ChiliPeppr workflow. It lets me make nice two-sided 3D parts quickly. However, I find the smarter tool paths and flexible stock modeling in Fusion360 really appealing. I guess I’ll start putting some time into learning Fusion360.

The wood is pine, wanted to use something soft and relatively cheap. I use the gcode importer from easel works well.