3D Printed Carbon Fiber Dust Shoe with Removable Brush Skirt

This looks great! I look forward to seeing your improvements and pricing! Good luck!

Sounds good to me, @RyanGarone! Donā€™t rush on my account.

Sorry Ryan! HA!

BTW - it only takes a second to set up an Etsy store. This enables you to take orders, get messages, print shipping labels and accept all kinds of payments.

Sounds good to me, Iā€™m not in the biggest hurry. Work is keeping me busy so I havenā€™t gotten to starting my assembly.

Can I ask where you source your strip brush? I grabbed a flexible strip brush from McMaster Carr that looks a lot like yours, but the bristles were so stiff it would end up actually lifting the gantry on Z during direction changes, and I ended up cutting 3\4 of them outā€¦ works a lot better now :wink: Have you experienced that, or are those bristles much softer?

Morning!
Hereā€™s a link to the brush I used: McMaster-Carr

I had read in the forums about the issue youā€™re talking about and thatā€™s why I angled the brush out a few degrees. Works pretty slick!

Hope that helps!

Sounds good. Thanks again.

Thatā€™s a great idea! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Travis. Iā€™ll post an update soon!

Thanks, Matt!

Not sure if you got this messageā€¦ I donā€™t think I originally replied directly to your commentā€¦ anywayā€¦

Hereā€™s a link to the brush I used: McMaster-Carr

I had read in the forums about the issue youā€™re talking about and thatā€™s why I angled the brush out a few degrees. Works pretty slick!

Hope that helps!

Got it, just slow to reply :wink:

Interesting, thats the same brush I use, but I found there to be way to many bristles, and they were too stiff: Ended up cutting out 3/4 of them on the inside, and it became much more usable. Otherwise during direction change it would actually lift the whole head on Z.
Iā€™m still looking for a better brush solutionā€¦ but your design is slick!

is that a 3d printed cover on top of your z axis?

Yep. Good eye!
Itā€™s on my list for a slight modification and reprint. It doesnā€™t quite seat right. You can see a gap at the bottom in the picture. I didnā€™t account for the washersā€¦

1 Like

thats super awesome man i was looking at making something like that on the x-carve but it takes alot of time to carve on the end grain to make that desgin on the edges

lol i seriously need to buy a 3d printer to go with my x carve

that carbon fiber looks good in your photos was there alot of clean up after the print?

what kinda printer do you have?

Thanks! It wasnā€™t too bad to clean up. I hit it with steel wool and that was it. I do print at the highest resolution I can.

For my printer, I didnā€™t have time to do an assemble yourself thing and didnā€™t want to spend over $1000. So I shopped around based on build volume, customer reviews and I wanted one that could print in multiple materials. I found the robo3d hit all those things. http://robo3d.com/

I was surprised to find out they sell them at Best Buy which for some reason I didnā€™t like, but Iā€™ve been running this thing almost non-stop for the past month and a half and havenā€™t had a single problem. Six month warranty, so Iā€™m not giving it a rest!

1 Like

oh yeah I have seen that one my problem is really all the machine to me just seems to have a crazy small build volume but thats just me wanting to 3d print a house lol

does that robo have a heated print bed?

I actually almost bought the dremel 3d printer and then i found out no heated bed among other things

but really there are compines out there that make 3d print heads for cnc routers so i am looking into that the only problem with that is the limited z axis travel on the x carve but would be great for large flat prints

Hi again. Yes it has a heated bed. I looked at the dremel printer too, but found out that it only works with their filament and I think it only prints in PLA and ABS.

I was pretty concerned about build volume before I bought. Now that I know what kind of time it takes to actually print large pieces, Iā€™m not disappointed with what I have. So far, I havenā€™t had a problem. I will say that out of all the dimensions that extra volume is nice to have is in the z direction.

Personally I think the robo is a great entry level printer.

With all the 3d printer talk here, let me ask you something guys.

How hard would it be to turn x carve build into 3d printer? I was actually considering second set of taller plates for X axis and another maker slide (or whatever is suitable) riding on same Y axis belts. Just something that has been hunting me for a while thats all :stuck_out_tongue: