3d printed carbon fiber dwp611 dust shoe 2.0

Thanks Matt! Nice to know I’m not missing something. :smile:

What people who don’t have a 3D printer also don’t realize is that 3D printing is not reliable. Every time you start printing something (even if you’ve printed it before) there is a significant risk that the print will fail (warp, crack, come off the bed) for various random reasons. Hopefully the PEI bed surface I recently added to mine will continue to help improve the odds. So if you’re printing something for someone else you have to allow for the possibility that you could get 10 hours into a print and then realize that it’s garbage.

There’s a very good reason that a 3D printer will not be in every house within 5 years, you have to be more aware of the physical properties of the plastic material far more than most people would ever want to deal with.

That said, I’m happy I’ve got one, but I’m a glutton for punishment.

Couldn’t agree more. I think maybe the technology is just getting out of the stage where you still have to be able to “think like the machine” to be consistent. And even then, like you said, you could be hours in and some variable will throw the whole thing off.

Happy printing!!

What CAD program did you design this in?

Just sketchup.

I disagree. After having my 3d printer for about 2 years, I’d give myself a 95% success rate at this point. I print 3 + parts a day.

impressive!

Wow, you’d really be dangerous with Fusion 360.

Yeah? I use sketchup for work everyday so it’s the program I know best. It’s great for architecture, but it breaks down a bit when you try and model down at small scales. Half mm holes get wonky, stuff like that. So, I’ve been thinking about trying out something else. I guess I should check out Fusion 360. :smile:

Hey Ryan,

Thank you for uploading your files. I have been looking for a good solution and I am very happy with the test fit. I used 3D hubs to find someone local to me and print it out. Sent it in yesterday afternoon and was ready this morning. It was so easy and very affordable.

Dan

Nice! Looks like they did a great job. It’s pretty straight forward, but let me know if you have any questions as you assemble.

Enjoy!

One other thing, The magnets in the shoe body should be a little below the surface and they should be a little proud of the surface on the brush skirt, so they lock in position when together (watch your fingers!) Just make sure the magnets are fully set in the holes. The holes are tapered out so there should be room at the bottom for epoxy to fill in around the magnets.

What’s the size of the vacuum hole? I need one which fits Festool which being metric isn’t the US 2 1/2".

The inside dimension of my hose is 37.23mm, but I had imagined with the taper on the outside that the hose would fit inside the dust shoe, not around it. As shown in the picture the hose tapers from 43.73mm to 44.20 over a 29mm distance.

Why do they put a taper on it?

Tapers allow for variations in size.

Festool. I knew there was a smart reason.

How much do you like the idea of designing something and then deciding whether to 3D print or CNC it? Even better how about designing a multi part item and printing some parts and carving others and having them all fit together?

Interesting questions. I really like the idea of the challenge of a multi part item mixing 3d print and cnc. The first question is tougher to answer. With some parts, it’s probably not a choice. That aside, my initial reaction would be to know ahead of time which pieces would be made which way, because I think it could streamline the design process and I appreciate efficiency. But I also know that as I work on parts I often “discover” things that might change that initial plan. The more I do this, the more I realize how much a successful design is linked to an ability to visualize how the part will be made. To do that I think it’s necessary to have a solid knowledge of both processes so you have the flexibility as you design to be able to determine which way is best and take your design in that direction.

I feel like I’m rambling. Hope you can make sense of that word salad.