3D Printer Kit Recommendations

I am currently looking to get a 3D Printer Kit and I know there are lots of X-Carve users with 3D Printers. I’ve had a CNC for years, but never a 3D printer. I’d like some recommendations on available kits. I want the following capabilities/specs:

Large print volume
heated bed
dual extruders
capacity to use numerous materials
metal frame
USB connection to Windows system and SD stand alone capability.

What are the kits recommended?

Thank you all :slight_smile:

They don’t make a kit anymore (they say they would like to) but it’s hard to go wrong with a Makergear M2. $1825 shipped (that might be the single extruder, more for dual)

I really want a kit…It is more then just having a printer :slight_smile:

Still take a look. Rick said they were going to try to release some kits in August, but I haven’t checked in a while.

Take a look at the Mendlemax 3. It’s a kit and comes with a large print area.

1 Like

What about something like this: http://www.jgaurora3d.com/cpzxCD/info_12.aspx?itemid=69&lcid=5

And in my normal fashion, I will upgrade the hell out of it :slight_smile:

I don’t know anything about this one.

Positive: heated bed, Marlin based firmware, G-code input, price

Negative: parts available?, extruder heats to 260 degrees C - fine for PLA and ABS would rather see 300 degrees C for more filament choices

Single extruder - but dual extruder isn’t as nice as many people think

Could be a good starter without losing much cash if it doesn’t work out.

1 Like

I was thinking of upgrading the extruder to the E3D V6 extruder as my first upgrade :slight_smile:

Ultimaker_2_User_Manual_V1.12.pdf (3.2 MB)

Too expensive…lol

go ahead and get the ft5 from folgertech and join the facebook group, Wonderful printer for the price but the best think about it is the community.

Do you have this one?

I have the smaller version prusa 2020 and i really like it, i will be getting the larger ft5 in a couple of weeks.

nice…I checked it out…it’s a contender …lol

E3DV6 hot end ROCKS. I have a PrintrBot Simple metal, upgraded it from 6x6x6 to 8x8x12 and then added the E3D. I love all the upgrades, especially to a $600 base price, but the new hot end made a huge difference…

1 Like

Then get a Makergear M2 and take it apart and put it back together again. :grinning: I got my M2 as a kit and really enjoyed putting it together and as hoped it left me feeling that nothing was sacred - I put it together so I could take it apart and modify it. I’ve since upgraded to dual extruder and more recently upgraded to 4 point bed leveling with the Z homing switch at the bottom.

Interesting

I’m a fan of the Prusa i3 Mk2

http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html

1 Like

That looks like a really nice printer. Might have to look into that myself.

I have a MendelMax 3, it has served me well and I have had no problems with it. Rigid machine, great prints, good price. Amazing customer support.

1 Like

+1 on the Original Prusa Mk2.

After over a month of research and almost buy decisions I ordered one yesterday. It is a bit more expensive than the Asian kits, but I think it is worth it.

It also seems ahead of the pack on electronics and bed levelling. Take a look at this video:

1 Like