3D resin “Screen Printing” on a CNC

My latest project was testing to see if I could create shading within a resin inlay by carving a negative 3D inlay, and it kind of worked! This was only the first attempt, and I think it could definitely be refined. Also, implicit, is that process of carving different colors individually and inlaying while still in the CNC. Cheers!

3 Likes

Nice work.
Have you considered skim cutting the epoxy down the wood surface? Then sanding.

Great job Tim. I say it turned out very well and there was a lot of learning in the video. Well worth trying and i may try something like that.

Interesting project, what resin do you use? I just made one resin inlay project to date, a Drone landing pad and I used West System. West System is great for my Carbon Fiber work but it is a bit pricy when you start to mix a quart at a time for resin inlay where strength is not an issue, as long as you get good adhesion and a clear mix.

I do, but I need to update my spoilboard, and was a little nervous it wasn’t very flat…

I use the cheap clear casting resin on Amazon for most things… cheap is relative but it’s less than the bigger names… I think Art and Glo casting.

1 Like

Yep, I just checked and it is more than 1/2 price for the volume.

It’s about a 45 minute pot time…

nicely done!

1 Like