50 States Carvey School

A teacher at Sparhawk School in Northeast Massachusetts looking forward to our Carvey arrival. Would appreciate feedback/suggestions to prepare our Maker Space for the arrival, accessories appropriate for a school and would love to hear ideas for “First Project”.

1 Like

Hey! I’m Wendy Cope, librarian at Woodstock Middle School in Woodstock GA (Northwest of Atlanta). Looking forward to our 3D carver and to see how our Maker Monday afterschool group pilots the equipment! They’ll play first, but we intend to follow Andy Plemmons’s (Barrow Elementary, Athens GA) lead in creating some sort of Woodstock Peace Prize medal for people who go above and beyond in our community. His school’s project is outlined here: barrow peace prize | Expect the Miraculous

3 Likes

Good afternoon,

Patrick Carroll here from Mesa, Arizona. Anxiously awaiting our Carvey. What a wonderful opportunity that Inventables has afforded us. We are a K-6 Elementary School trying to inject the spirit of the Maker Movement into our entire school community. We are doing it in conjunction with STEAM units of inquiry. Starting off slow, but are working our way into Computer Aided Design and hopefully fabricating our students’ ideas in the near future. The Carvey is going to go a long way in helping us to accomplish this goal. We look forward to learning from the community and hopefully can contribute along the way.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello everyone, Kendall Baker from Tri County Technology Center in Bartlesville Oklahoma. Our students are excited to receive their Carvey and get to start using it. I’m excited to hear what everyone has to say and to see everyone ideas and projects as we start learning how to use Carvey.

2 Likes

Mobile classroom in Klein Texas, suburb of Houston Texas. Give students from K-12 experiences with STEAM careers (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts with Math). Anxiously awaiting our Carvey for students to start using while on the STEAM Express to give exposure to STEAM careers. Our Carvey should be here next week, so I already have our first print ready to go! So exciting!

2 Likes

Hi @JenniferEsty a teacher at Lane Tech High School named @JeffSolin made this Mosaic Tile project. He uses it as the first project with his class.

We also did it with our team at Inventables last week.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!
My name is Amanda Kettleson and I teach at Discovery Charter School in Las Vegas, Nevada. We are also anxiously waiting for the arrival of our Carvey. I teach a blend of 1st-3rd graders at a Project Based Learning School. We started a Garden Experience project this year where we are turning the rocky areas of our campus into a Nature Trail with learning stations. We are hoping to create signs and so much more with our Carvey machine. I also run a student store created by my Math class last year that we are looking to create our own products to sell in the store. I am excited to see all of your projects and hope I will have some worth sharing myself :). Thank you Zach_Kaplan for sharing that idea for a first project.I might just have to try it out!

1 Like

Hello Wendy, Congratulations on winning the machine! I am in Kennesaw and would be happy to help if you have any questions about using a CNC.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
I added a similar topic to the forum for the large X-Carve, but I hope you don’t mind if I crash your party. I know that as a community of educators we can support each other in growing the “maker mindset” at our schools!

Greg

This mosaic builds off our lesson plan idea to make a Mandala! Love it!!

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

My name is CJ Chretien and I teach at Manchester Central High School in Manchester, NH. We are a large comprehensive high school with about 1,600 students. We have a very diverse population representing over 60 countries/languages and about 40% of our students are on free or reduced lunch. I teach physics and engineering and work with the FIRST Robotics team. I was originally hoping to get the large X-Carve, but realized it would not work in our space and had to switch to the Carvey. I am excited for the Carvey because I think it will be so much easier to use in the regular classroom.

I am hoping to ramp up my knowledge of 3D design and fabrication. I want to learn Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor because we use those with the robotics team. So far these programs have been a real challenge for me. I like the ease of use that Easel offers, but it is not advanced enough for what I want to do with my robotics kids, but I will likely find myself starting there this school year.

Since the machine is coming late in the school year and I will still be learning it as well, I am thinking of having students build a Rube Goldberg machine that includes at least one part made on the Carvey. This will allow kids who are more comfortable designing parts on their own to go ahead. certain kids who get more comfortable designing parts they can go to town. Another idea is a mousetrap car that has all the parts made on the Carvey. I love the gear generator built into Easel!

CJ

2 Likes

Count on it! Would you please email me your contact information so we can coordinate? Thank you!!!
wendy.cope@cherokee.k12.ga.us

Hi Charles!

Although many will have differing opinions on this, I would highly recommend checking out Autodesk Fusion 360 or Inventor before Solid Works. The main reason? Price. All Autodesk applications are free for educators and students, and they’re also cross platform (Solid Works has to be run on a PC). I’m in a similar boat as you are. I’m new to it, but I’m anxious to learn more. After having a good understanding of one application, it’s not a giant leap to learn a new application that accomplished similar things. Again, that’s just my opinion, but I formed that opinion after talking to many professionals that use those and other applications for their designs.

Jeff

1 Like

This is awesome! @CharlesChretien1 in addition you can import g-code into Easel by clicking the “import” button. So if you can have a different tool chain to Carvey like Fusion360->Easel->Carvey or Solidworks->HSM Works->Easel->Carvey.

I want to use whatever we are using in FIRST robotics. Our robotics team has used Solidworks for a while, but we have never used it all that much and it was primarily used by mentors. We got a lot of new computers this year and we are trying to move in the direction of more digital fabrication so we are now faced with making decision.

I have proposed shifting the team to Autodesk Inventor for a bunch of reasons; primarily that it is free for education and also they are a local company. Solidworks is also free for the FIRST team to use, but technically I am breaking our agreement if I use it in my engineering class. I have reasoned that a majority of my engineering class is also on the robotics team so it isn’t that big of a deal. I also like that products like 123D are easier to use, but have some of the same buttons as Inventor. This might be good to introduce with younger kids.

I coach FIRST as well, but I’m not the head coach. They use the free Solid Works licenses in there. However, kids can’t use it at home or on their own computers which is why I like the free Autodesk option better. Good luck with everything, and hopefully we’ll see you at Worlds :).

Great discussion regarding CAD tools. Seems we have a few (busy lately!) FIRST folks. While I prefer Solidworks for professional work, I’m headed to Autocad Inventor given your recommendations.

Hey everyone,
I teach pre-engineering classes at Weaver Middle School in Hilliard, OH (just outside of Columbus). My classes include CAD, robotics, and electronics. I’m excited to receive our Carvey, so we have another cool way to approach solving problems. I teach Autodesk Inventor to 7th and 8th graders and it will be interesting to see how the Carvey impacts the way I teach and the way my students think. We have a 3D printer that was donated and I tell my students that I will print anything they design as long as it actually serves a purpose. We also have the occasional “challenge” where they can design holiday things or magnets or bookmarks that fit within certain constraints. Initially, I think we’ll use the Carvey in a similar way. Eventually, I’d like to make the design of functional things a focus of my classes. My electronics students learn arduino and many of the kids run with it. I’m thinking of adding a project with the goal of combining the design they’ve learned in the CAD unit, the understanding of gears and mechanisms they get from robotics, and any of the use of circuitry and/ or programming to simply make something that moves. I know they’ll impress me with their creativity.
Sorry for the rambling…got even more excited about the Carvey as I was typing.
Thank you Inventables for this fantastic opportunity! Imagine how different education would look of every company in a position to help did.

1 Like

That sounds like so much fun for the students you are teaching. Having tools like the Carvy and 3D printers combined with teachers like you that can spark their imagination is a real winning combination.

Please let us know what designs your students come up with!

Hello everyone. My name is Jason Diodati and I teach engineering at Templeton High School in San Luis Obispo county, CA. We are very excited to get our Carvey and start working with it.