611 Router gets hot

Is it normal for the router collet to get so hot. After a few minutes its pretty warm. I have airflow from the internal fans. Not sure why just the collet part is so hot close to burn your fingers after 30 minutes of engraving. Not hogging jobs either. Bad router bearing? IDK. I’m very hands on mechanical. This bugs me why so hot. Thanks

How old is the router? Does this happen only after you carve something? Have you allowed the router to just run for the same amount of time without it actually carving to see if it builds up excessive heat? Is it difficult to spin the router by hand?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

I dont have the 611 myself, but for reference my Makita only get warm even after prolonged carve runs. Can place and hold my hand firmly on the base without any issues.

Should be about 2 months old. Made a couple projects. I was unable to run right away since no internet in my garage. I ran the router for 5 minutes with no load and it gets hot. Spins freely and the blower is moving air down.

Is it sparking excessively?

Brandon Parker

Oh yes lots of sparks. Pretty. I spray with a gun oil to change color of sparks and cool it. Good grief.

I was being serious …

Excessive sparking could mean an issue with the brushes. If the brushes are sparking excessively when they traverse each section of the commutator, this would mean that they are experiencing higher thermal stress than normal. This excessive thermal loading would also result in the rotor getting hotter than normal.

Brandon Parker

1 Like

After every couple of carves I blow out the router with my air compressor, you would be surprised at how much dust comes out…

Thanks. Good tip Yes. My 1st thought lack of air flow. Its brand new. Only made like 5 designs.

My router is brand new and perfectly clean yet just by merely running it heats up the collet to a too hot to handle temperature. To answer the simple questions no it is not cutting material at all I simply let it spin in the air. After like 30 seconds it’s already up to about 50*C but after a few minutes cutting even simple parts into polycarbonate which as we all know cuts like butter, the collet can’t even be touched it’s so hot. WTH is up with these routers?

What speed are you running the router at? The DeWalt 611 should normally be run at Speed 1 on the X-Carve for most materials being milled.

Brandon Parker

1 Like