A 30 minute x-axis mod to reduce chatter

Thanks for this idea! It took some time before I got around to it, but I finally stopped by the hardware store and picked up the supplies. Super simple, super cheap, super quick to do, and it made a noticeable difference in the stiffness of my gantry.

I put 10 of these across the gantry with a 90mm spacing and used nylon lock nuts and large washers to create mor of a T underneath.

4 Likes

Has anyone encountered any issues with this mod? What are some benefits compared to the stiffening mods?

No issues (nothing’s come loose, for example), and on my machine at least, most of the remaining stiffness issues have to do with the Z axis now. Not sure it’s worth it for me to stiffen my X axis any further until I can fix Z first.

1 Like

There is a list of benefits for this mod at the bottom of the original post (top of this thread). Basically, the mod is fast, easy, cheap, light (good for fast cornering), and makes the X-axis far stiffer than the Z-axis.

Reorganizing the nuts and bolts on the z-axis stage really helped. It’s critical to be able to adjust the v-wheel axle holding force and the eccentric-nut position independently. I’m thinking about switching all the eccentric-nuts to eccentric-spacers, to make both axle-clamping-force and v-wheel position easier to adjust.

1 Like

I got some eccentric-spacers just for this reason… probably the next thing I’ll do to the machine.

@Rcannon95 Matt is right, the full list of benefits is up there. For me, the fact that I had virtually no down time on the machine, and there is a significant increase in stiffness to the point that other areas are the weak link are the key benefits.

1 Like

@MattWheeler
Hi Matt. I looked at your picture on the original post and I think I see what you are doing, but…

Would you mind explaining how to properly adjust the v-wheels and the eccentric nut? Also how to make the optimal router mount to v-wheel adjustment.

Thanks.

I did the mod a few weeks ago but I added a long strip of 1/8" steel on the bottom edge as one long washer for the bottom edge. It has been a great improvement and has had a very noticeable difference to my aluminum milling. The strip fits almost the full width on the underside of the maker slide and really helps to bind it all together as one unit. I think the strip cost be under $5 at the Home Depot, it was even galvanized to boot. A fast cut on the metal chop saw, a few holes on the drill press and it fit perfectly. Worst part of the mod is learning the new sounds of the mill now that it is stiffer. Much less noise while milling and producing a perfect mirror finish on my parts with my Destiny end mills. Really love it. Short of replacing the maker slide with a single larger unit, this is a great mod.

3 Likes

I did this mod too and noticed an immediate increase in cut quality and accuracy and a decrease in noise too. Thanks for the brilliant advice.

1 Like

What size bolts sketch? 3/16" x 2" ?

I’d planned to just use the bolts with washers to do the stiffening mod but a couple of pieces of 25mm x 3mm steel bar would be a better solution.
I’ve measured and a 25mm wide bar will fit on top of the Makerslides but will need to have the bolt holes offset from centre to clear the idler pulleys. The bar at the bottom of the Makerslides could be drilled and tapped so no need for nuts.

1 Like

4mm x 50mm Philips head screws.

I was looking for black button head cap screws but alas, they are hard to find near where I live…

2 Likes

would it make sense to run a bar at the top and bottom to just help with the pull through pressure of the bolt? Was thinking of doing this mod but with aluminium bar instead of steel as a washer.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, spread the load and provide more friction to bind the rails. if you drill and tap the lower bar you wouldn’t need nuts either. (I just noticed GeoffSteer already said that)

1 Like

I picked up some 32mm and 25mm x 3mm mild steel bar yesterday planning to do this mod today. Turns out I should have gotten 20mm instead as while the 25mm just fits, it’s awfully close to the belt on one side and the v-wheel on the other. If I don’t get the holes drilled exactly on the mark, they’ll be a problem.
I can’t mill the 25mm down as my metal mill (Sieg X2) is too small to handle a 1 metre length. I might hit it with the angle grinder and see how it goes. If I butcher it up too much, I’ll go and get some 20mm bar.
I was going to use 4mm bolts to hold it together as 5mm widened the gap between MS a bit too much (4.87 as opposed to a necessary 4.75). I figured it would be better to have the X axis MS pressed tight against the bolts to will use the 5mm instead and fit some shim washers to the v-wheels to make up the difference. I’ve ordered some 0.3mm washers, 2 for each v-wheel. This will end up with a 0.045mm difference between ideal spacing and reality - I can live with that.

1 Like

This is a great and simple idea!

2 Likes

As I’m working through my build right now I am contemplating which strengthening mod to use and while this is the most appealing due to ease and least destructive of the gantry. I also understand why this is a useful mod to perform since it locks the x rails together. My question more goes to sag on the X axis for supporting the Dewallt 611 (or any other heavier spindle platform), has anyone noticed or measured the straightness or sag amount on x in the center?

On a related note, has anyone considered sleeving the bolt so that there is a stronger bond between the two rails without risk of bolt threads cutting into the aluminum?

I have a 500x500 and with nothing to compare it to I’m not sure if this would be helpful. Is anyone with a 500x500 doing this with good effects?

I have the Makita and it seems to be better.

I upgraded to the Dewalt 611, and decided to do this mod. It took 20 minutes total, and I noticed the machine operated better. I did a rough cut through red oak at about 90 ipm with zero chatter.

Wow that is a serious testimonial. I’ve got the parts for it, but I’ve been waiting to do it until I change out my SO2 parts for the XCarve parts. I had sooooo much chatter cutting last night. Ugh.