A 60 minute x-axis stiffening mod to reduce chatter

I will check it when I get a chance but few days ago when I was doing this I did not see the problem. You picked random image I took to illustrate size on the 9mm idlers and you making assumption without seeing the right side V wheel. Nothing was bolted down or aligned at the time I took this picture.

1 Like

I’ve currently got this mod done using 4mm bolts, no change in washers required.
I have bought thinner washers so I can use 5mm bolts but I can’t see any reason to do this, everything seems stiff enough right now. I really don’t want to pull everything apart to change washers and then go through the entire alignment process AGAIN,

That is the advantage of this mod over the mod that uses the vertical steel or aluminum insert between the rails and bolted in. I think Phil is pointing out a potential issue with that approach. With the top and bottom clamp, the rails sit at the natural position on the v wheels and no other modification to washers or otherwise is required.

2 Likes

I’m aware of that, my post mentioned I was using 4mm bolts and therefore didn’t need to replace any washers.

Those bushings are supposed to move. I see nothing wrong with putting about $10 dollars woth of hot glue between the slides with some tape underneath to prevent it from dripping out. It’s hard enough dried to contribute to rigidity, but just soft enough to carve away with a knife or melt away with a hut glue gun should you ever need to disassemble.

1 Like

Sounds like you did exactly what I did. How is it working out? Mine has been rock solid so far.

I don’t think that would give you the same rigidity as clamping the maker slides together, in what ever configuration. And a lot messier…:slight_smile:

Oh, I meant “in addition to”, as a substitution for the T shape material dome people are fond of for this sort of mod. I already ordered my M4 60mm socket screws and lock nuts :slight_smile:

Prior to clean and paint.

1 Like

Looks great! Did you thread the bottom rail?

Yes, bottom rail holes are threaded. I figured that the less I had protruding below the bottom of the Makerslide, the better. I may have to enlarge the holes in the top bar a little to get a better fit, at the moment it’s a bit too tight.

So I hate to ask, but I’m about to embark upon this mod.

Sounds like the “bar in the middle” (60 min?) method will prevent issues if upgrading belts to 9mm, otherwise the “bars on top and bottom” (30 min?) approach is just fine?

I thought I read the “bar in the middle” mod might cause issues w\ v wheels seating correctly if the bar is too thick?

My mistake, I was replying to the subject of this thread.

1 Like

The bar in the middle is not the “60 minute mod”. The 60 minute mod (see first post in this thread) does not change any of the spacing or require any other modification to the maker slide. The 60 minute mod is an enhanced version of the 30 minute mod. Its basically the same approach, but uses two bars to clamp down on the maker slides adding additional rigidity. There was a parallel thread going on which I think caused some confusion discussing the bar in the middle approach which can affect spacing. I guess I should have come up with a more clever name for the mod.

… got it, so the “two bar, over and under, screws down between the maker slides, paint it to match, wish I could powder coat it” mod … :smile: is the way to go.

I’m still OK if \ when I move to 9mm belts, right, I thought I saw something about the bar on top possibly impeding the idler pulley when moving to 9mm?

1 Like

If you are planning to change the belt size or modify any components inside the gantry, the “60 minute mod” has a bar on top so you will need to measure what modifications you are trying to do with the size of the bar you use to insure they are compatible. That said, I have found no need to change the belt size personally.

But I love the thought on the name change! Well done.

Did you find a good source for the M4x60mm socket screws? I can’t find them that long locally, and most sites I have look at on line have excessive shipping cost.

I bought THESE on ebay. QTY 25 for $8.05 with free shipping, US seller.

2 Likes

Thanks, I just ordered some as well.