A Few Medals and Coins

do you face mill with the x-carve or use a lathe?

I now use a Tormach 440 to face mill. But you can face mill with the x-carve. Just use a 3/16" flat bottom mill.

the 440 is a 14 K machineā€¦nice machine

im going to try to do this with x-carveā€¦do you have a site where you sell your stuff?

shadywooddesignsco.etsy.com & www.steampunkspinners.com The x-carve paid for the tormach 440. The Tormach has paid for LOTS of stuff.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you are successful. Thank for the Info. Iā€™m going to see what i can do with coinage.

Which round brass stock is the best to work with on the x-carve?
This is available at ā€œOnline Meta Storeā€ = C360 or the C464

I like your site on Etsy.

I use 360. But I use .25" thick bar stock

I just read up the thread and this is very old. I donā€™t use the dremel to clean up the coins any more. I use this sand blaster with ā€œfine sandā€ from Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HX3HLPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Earwigger. I think im saying this correctly. i plan to order a foot long rod of brass from ā€œOnline Metals - 0.25ā€ Brass Round Bar 360-H02 Extruded -Part #: 1257) with a diameter of 1.5 inch. i will cut with hacksaw to .25 thickness and then place it in some type of very secure jig. then mill it to a flat surface with x-carve then start experimenting with cutting bits to see how letters and figures appear. does this sound correct?
thanks, john

I use part #1420 which is a flat bar of brass. 4" wide, .25" thick. THen, I cut the coins out of the bar. I do not use round bar.