A few questions/issues with the new xcarve

Ok I checked mine and it matches the instructions picture for both ribbons. The ends of the cables do not appear to be reversible so try swapping the ends around.

Soā€¦ prior to your postingā€¦ I had decided to close everything up, and test. Each axis was moving the opposite direction! Success, my initial theory was right! They had installed something wrongā€¦ and as I was about to postā€¦ I read your commentā€¦ and relooked (I could swear I had tried that already) and beholdā€¦ they are no longer twisted. I donā€™t think I could feel more dumb at this point. So THANK YOU! (Not for making me feel dumb, but for not making me look dumb telling the company they messed up and didnā€™t) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ fixed the cablesā€¦ closed it all upā€¦ and the axes are still all in reverseā€¦ ??

Check your stepper wiring into the Xcontroller.

Yep, double checked that as wellā€¦

Did you run the Easel setup? It could be the GRBL setting switching the direction.

Yeah, a couple timesā€¦ I state all three are wrongā€¦ then select to swap itā€¦ it worksā€¦ until I go to the next oneā€¦ swap it and it worksā€¦ but then the previous one is back swappedā€¦ etc. Kinda frustratingā€¦

Ok, i take that backā€¦ The Y works normallyā€¦ but the X and Z keep flippingā€¦ I fix oneā€¦ and the other flips back. How to I rewire the Z motor so it is in reverse? Do I literally just flip the wires 180?

Youā€™ve got the new connector motor cables, right? Are those keyed? Can those be inserted in flipped? That may cause it.

Check to make sure the motors connection for the X and Z are like this:

Yeah, theyā€™re keyedā€¦ But the colors look exactly opposite of yoursā€¦

Thats from the Inventables instructions, not my machine. I have the old school motors that donā€™t use the connectors.

Iā€™m assuming the Xcontroller diagram assumes the pairs match their instructions pictures so youā€™d want to swap the wires at the Xcontroller or try to use the software switching again.

@Zach_Kaplan seems there is a disconnect between instructions and reality and Easel doesnā€™t respond as it should.

Since the Y axis was goodā€¦ and the X and Z kept flipping if I used the tutorialā€¦ I ended up setting the X correct, then 180 degreeing the wires on the Z axis and did a test of my nameā€¦ unfortunately the test called for 1/16" and all it came with was 1/8" part of the e in my name didnā€™t carveā€¦ but the rest looked good. :slight_smile: YAY!

2 Likes

Wait so does it work now?

What was the solution?

I set the grbl to flip the x axis in easel, and I unplugged the wires from the x controller for the z, and made them opposite the others. Worked great.

His Z and X motor cables are flipped from the Grabcad drawing which meant his Xcontroller wiring, when done per instructions, had the direction flipped for X and Z. Then, when running Easel setup, setting the X axis to switch polarity would work but then when doing the same to Z axis would cause the X axis to revert back or vice versa.

It appears that Easel doesnā€™t like it when multiple axis need to be flipped without rewiring. Almost like it doesnā€™t carry over whether an axis was flipped when writing GRBL settings.

It also appears you had some nonconforming stepper motor cables get shipped which led to this in the first place.

1 Like

That explains it way better than I did. Thanks! :slight_smile: