A mod to make z-azix more stiff and easier to adjust

Perfect. Thank you

Where did everyone get the small quantity of hardware? Amazon is selling 100 packs. Homedepot doesn’t have the nylock nut. Just the tension nut.

Unfortunately no Menard in south Texas.

I got mine at a small chain hardware store in my area, sometimes the smaller mom/pop type places have better selections then the big superstores.

2 Likes

Dang. Looks like I did mine wrong. Doesn’t that put your spindle way out in front of your X axis gantry rail? Seems like it’d cause more movement that way… ?

From what I can see it is pretty much the same distance as using the spacers given in the instructions from inventables, this is just more secure and easier to adjust.

@MattWheeler

Hi

would there be any advantage to using eccentric spacers instead of the last nut ?

Agreed. I’ve found that using eccentric spacers in the z-stage is far more stable over time. The e-nuts seemed to need adjusting after nearly every job.

1 Like

Thanks Matt

Where do you get the eccentric spacers?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This post inspired me to improve my Z-axis. I have a small lathe and made some bigger eccentrics to support the wheels.

7 Likes

I assembled this mod and I can still move the Z from side to side. This mod is great but I need a much better stiffening as the router causes a lot of vibration and small stuff cannot be done very well.

I’ve made the modification from the original post. It does help maintain the adjustments. What I’m seeing my problem to be, is that the V-wheel has some play in it, and unless there is a modification to it, or a higher quality V-wheel, there will always be some side-to-side flex in the Z-axis. It doesn’t appear that the steel V-wheel from Inventables can be used to replace the standard Delrin ones. The x and y axis both have 8 wheels, where the Z only has 4.

One theory that I haven’t tested out. If the Delrin nut on the Acme thread was to be flush with the Z maker slide, it might add some rigidity. Albeit at the expense of creating tension if not perfectly aligned.