A Pre-Purchase Question about working with 3/4" HDPE

I believe they did a update to easel recently my machine was actually peck drilling holes the other day it was nice lol

I love my xcarve as well but it is not the right machine for this job. Setup would be time consuming and you would be pushing the limits of rigidity with a cutter that large. Why so many people are trying to tell you it could be done is beyond me. A shaper is the proper tool for the job or stick with the router table you have been using and look for ways to improve your setup with that tool.

Thanks for the input, all. I was looking for those with a working history with the machine to determine it was a worthwhile pursuit and I feel, especially with Shawn1’s comment, that I might not improve my efficiency by incorporating the X-Carve into the process. Probably really would push the limit, though watching big CNC’s do this is pretty darn impressive. Thanks for the insight…I’ll have to think of another reason to get one lol!

@MichaelPalma

I would really love to see a pic of the final product so I can see exactly what you are doing lol

I didn’t intend to sound so harsh, they really are a great tool for the price. They are a ton of fun and well worth the money. I’m sure you will find a ton of things you can do that will save you time and make you money. I was also assuming (which I shouldn’t do) that the board you are cutting the radius on would need to be setup and was not cut to size on the CNC router as well. If you were cutting the 16x20 board from stock and then rounding the corners all on the same operation setup would be easy. If the stock needed to be setup square and elevated it would become a nightmare. Hope that made sense.

I just read your initial post again and you said you were putting a bullnose into starboard trays. I don’t know what that is but that’s why I assumed you were working with a pre-formed part. Setting that up so you are perfectly square to the x and y axis of the xcarve would be a nightmare. If you were off just slightly it would make a huge difference in the final cut.

Ok, here’s what I’m fabricating.
Step 1 is to take slightly over-sized blanks and drill 1/16", 3/32" and 5/16" holes. The 5/16" holes are for metal inserts for mounting the tray to an arm.
Step 2 is to route the bullnose edge and 2.5" radius corners on the trays.

I currently mount a template to the tray (using the inserts to orient it). I then use a router table with a an bullnose router bit with bearing. Amana bit on Amazon for reference.

@MichaelPalma

I really think that you could make that entire Piece on the X-carve and eliminate all the other tools all you would have to is 2 maybe 3 tool changes

also the holes drilled would be exactly in the same place every time

or really use the x-carve to drill all the holes and then simply take the piece to the router table for the edges while the next one is being cut