A sign as a gift for step father-in-law

if you make a silhouette of your image move it to the back and cut it as a outline it will cut the project out
http://easel.inventables.com/projects/01DXvRUVGbzAKQdBfoxPzQ

I see. But what i was doing was cutting the silhouette as a tabbed outline my bad forgot to mention. Your project is looking great!!

1 Like

Yeah easel scares me sometimes the way it codes never sure if if all is good or it has decided to skip rope.

The jittering could be the loose belt, debris in the belt or pulley, tight V-wheels, or the pots needing adjustment.

1 Like

Most likely that is “Chatter”.
I have noticed that my XC is really prone to chatter when Climb milling with a 1/4" bit along the X axis (side to side)
As I understand it, Chatter happens when the bit/spindle gets deflected and springs back against the material, making that shuddering skittering cut.

1 Like

Some speciality timber suppliers may offer thinner boards for such things as box making.
Best way to thin a board is re-sawing on a band saw. You can get very thin pieces with little wastage due to thin saw blade kerf.

1 Like

[quote=“PhilJohnson, post:23, topic:21085”]
So for my next big tool purchase, would you recommend a bandsaw over a table saw?
[/quote]If you need to do any cut-out work on a sign, then a band-saw might be a more useful tool than a table saw.
On a couple of jobs I’ve run on the X-Carve, I only carve 1/3 of the depth of the cut and then cut out the piece on the band saw. The edge is then cleaned up on the router table using a flush trim bit. Saves a lot of time especially when using hardwood.
Check out woodgears.ca or ibuiltit.ca for some ideas on making a DIY table saw.

1 Like

They have 1/4" stock in a bin in the middle of the aisle at my local Lowes and Home Depot. There’s a little variety, like red oak and poplar and balsa.

1 Like

I’ve gotten quite a bit of quarter inch stock from here and 1/8" and thicker stuff as well, the wood has always been perfect:

http://www.dndhardwoodsonline.com/

1 Like

Nice find! I’ll have to check out the millwork area next time I go in.

1 Like

That turned out beautifully! Well done, anyone would be proud to hang that in their shop!

1 Like

Grizzly tools makes a 14 inch band saw for $555,

I have that exact bandsaw, and with the riser kit, can re-saw 12". Great saw for the money.

1 Like

Very cool work!

My local Lowe’s has a section where they sell thinner cuts of wood, they call it the “project board” section. They have 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4, all by 2, 4 or 6, and in 2 or 4’ lengths. They only stock Oak, Poplar and Pine though, and lots of times you have to really dig to fine any wood that’s not hella warped. If I’m buying <6" wide stock anymore I’ll just get the 3/4" and plane it down on the jointer, that way I KNOW it’s flat and true.

1 Like

I come from a graphic design/print background as well. I feel like it’s served me well since I’ve got a lot of experience in pre-flighting documents to make plates for printing presses. This comes in handy when I design, because I come at it from a mindset of “how will this work on the machine” and can design around the limitations and work to the strengths instead of spending hours forcing something to work.

Did you use the inlay tool in Easel to carve the pockets for your letters?

1 Like

Yes. The inlay app generates 2 copies of your shape, a male and female. Both have added fillets to account for the chosen bit diameter and the app gives you the ability to specify your tolerance to account for paint/finishing/runout. I usually leave it set to .001 or .002 and get hammer-in inlays.

2 Likes

Great work

1 Like