Adjusting motor current/voltage

Thanks Guys,
I’ve adjusted the pots a couple of times & removed most of the problems I was having.

Because it was a pain to disassemble everything to get at the pots (I’ve mounted it into a cooled enclosure, mounted on the side of the machine) and because the “current too low” and “current too high overheating” symptoms seemed somewhat similar, I guess I was trying to find a better way then just trial and error. I’ve gotten the machine so it runs perfectly at high speed, under no load, but the times I’m losing steps appear to be mostly when the machine is running under (relatively) heavier loads.

I probably didn’t word my question above in the best way, but I guess I was trying to determine how I could tell if the current is sufficient for ‘no-load’ movements, but is too high or too low when under load?

I’m mostly using VCarve and Universal GCode Sender to drive it and so I’m still playing around with feeds & speeds, but it’s frustrating to have it spend 30 carving a beautiful design, only to have it mess up the last few minutes of it and then the final pass which cuts it out is off centre. All part of the world of DIY CNC I guess.

2 Likes