Advice on Foam / Foam Finishes for 3D Props and Sculptures

Hi there!

I’m looking for some advice or insights on the best foam sculpting tools to use to create world-class 3D foam props and environments.

QUESTIONS

• What are the best foam sculpting tools out there? What are your favorites?
  • What tools should we always make sure to have in our arsenal? (Hot wires, hot knifes, chisels, sandpaper, etc.)
  • What are the best kinds of tools to buy? The best brands?
  • What type of foam do you recommend using for 3D sculpting (Density, Type, etc.)

I’m somewhat new to foam sculpting, so any insights or recommendations that you can share, I would be really grateful.

Also, while I’m on the topic… if you have any advice for the best type of foam finishes / hard coat materials for props, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Fomular is the one I have heard. I have one sheet but I have not tested. (you need good vac as its not good to breathe the dust)

I have cut those gym type mats and its more of a rough look with the pores. Foam cut skull (not full 3d but partial) - #22 by JeffNash

Also here is some type of foam that others have used => high density urethane foam

Here is a thread on foam that was used for gun cases.
https://discuss.inventables.com/t/something-different-what-i-use-my-xcarve-for/24686/3

1 Like

Hello. Is this somehow cnc related? There are a few who have experimented with the foam you find at homedepot for housing with good results on the x-carve. Others make gun case inserts.

We are looking to cut foam props and sculptures on our new 7-Axis robot, whether it’s an art piece or even a float sculpture. We are looking for advice on the best tools to accompany our projects, and tips for materials, coats and finishes to use for these sculptures.

Was just looking to see if anyone had any advice on tools / materials / finishes from experience with their own foam projects.

2 Likes

I have cut those gym type mats and its more of a rough look with the pores. Foam cut skull (not full 3d but partial) - #22 by JeffNash

Stephen, thanks so much for sharing this!

I appreciate the thread links that you shared too. I’m excited to do some reading.

One of the threads I can’t remember talked about waterproofing foam. A type of waterproof that doesn’t eat the foam.
I can’t find it now. :confused:

I too like to experiment and wanted to do some props. Not the same as you but there is a thread about creating a jumanji board. I have the wood for it. 100 year old mahogany. :smiley:

For the foamular. Here is a thread on someone using it.

This is what I have done lately:

I have a no-name hot knife I got years ago that works well, and some of the foam factory tools as well as some wood burning stuff. (Solder iron with and exacto blade tip, good for fine lines)

On coatings
I know some people have used the smooth-on 3D coat material for foam with good results 9it should not eat into the foam.

I found that wood glue works surprisingly well.

I have tried various plaster products. But they don’t stick well to the foam and can chip off over time.

I have not done resin hard coating because of the expense. (From what I researched years ago, most large foam props were coated with a 2 part spay on epoxy using large spray equipment. But it was expensive and they would call someone out to shoot all the stuff at once. Then detail paint over it.)

I know some people have used the smooth-on 3D coat material for foam with good results 9it should not eat into the foam.

Thanks so much for the tips, and for sharing your project!

I’ve been looking into the Smooth-On product, but haven’t talked to anyone who has actually used it. It looks like it goes a long way and holds up pretty well over time.

We are also looking into doing the spray on Epoxy, or even the Polyurea systems. We haven’t quite landed on which spray system is best quite yet.

Thanks again for the insights!

1 Like

After doing some more research, it seems as though most people either go with Polyurea or Epoxy coating for large-scale foam projects.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands for either of these coating types? Or any recommendations for spray systems for applying them?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve had great luck with Industrial Polymers UraGel 770.

@Thinktankgroup where are you based? I stumpled across this forum trying to source new urethane+EPS carve tools. I’m in NJ and have a lot of experience carving synthetics like these on 5, 7 axis machines.

I often see closed cell foam used for prop making.