Alarm: Homing fail. Y axe doesn't moves

Yes, it’s ok, t’s firmly mated.

I’m pretty sure that you have a bad Arduino at this point. If you bought your machine through Inventables get in touch with them to see if they will replace it (they usually do). If you bought it somewhere else get in touch with them to get a replacement.

One other thing you could try is to take the gShield off the Arduino and test again.

Ok, Larry! I will do! Huge thanks for help me! I hope soon to solve this problem. Take care and thank you very much!:relaxed:

You’re welcome. Get some sleep.

Hi Larry! Finally, I have bought a new gShield and a new Arduino and the problem persist. The X-Carve works well, but the homing sequence still doesn’t work. I have checked all wires and conections and they are ok. If I check the gShield limit pins with a multimeter (with the limit switches wires unplugged, directly over the gShield pins) I get 0.230, 0.040, 0.100V, with the power supply off, only the USB connected. Is it right?

If I connect only the Arduino to the USB the limit switch pins are 000, Ok. But if I connect the gShield to the Arduino (only gShield to Arduino, without wires) to USB the pins are 111. I don’t understand anything. By other hand, If I connect everything and I do the ? command, the pins still are 111. And if I press any limit switch and I do the ? command, anything changes. The three pins are 111. I do not know what to do…:disappointed:

@Mino

No. With the configuration that you describe the pins should be about 5 volts.

Check your soldering work. Take two pictures of the gShield focusing on the pins of the connector. One picture of the top of the board and the other picture looking at the bottom of the board.

Post the pictures here.

@Mino

Unfortunately, it appears that your new gShield is defective as far as the homing/limit switch inputs are concerned.

Can you get a replacement from the company you bought it from?

This gShield is new, the company sent me this one yesterday. And also the Arduino is new.

Yes, but even new things have problems sometimes.

The fact that the homing switch inputs work correctly when the connector is unplugged and the gShield is not plugged in, but fails when you plug the gShield in, indicates that the gShield is causing the problem.

Your solder connections are not great, but they are not what is causing the problem. The only thing left is the gShield.

You could test the gShield with it unplugged from everything. Take an ohmmeter reading from pin D9,D10, and D12 to D14 to see what the values are there for each pin (9, 10, and 12).

0.1 Ohm in all pins. Is it right?

I’m going crazy.:sob: I have the X-Carve since more of one month and I can’t do it anything with it… Good luck for you too!:four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

No. D14 is ground. Your pins are shorted to ground which means they will never work. The resistance from D9, D10 and D12 to ground should be infinite without any connections to the board.

You need to get the gShield replaced.

You can use G28 without the switches working. It’s just a slightly different procedure.

I think that I have checked the pins wrong. Where I put each terminal multimeter exactly?

Select the ohms setting on the meter.

Place the red lead on D9 and the black lead on D14 note the reading
Place the red lead on D10 and the black lead on D14 note the reading
Place the red lead on D12 and the black lead on D14 note the reading

More or less. If you use UGCS you can jog your machine to the location where you want Machine Zero to be. Close the serial connection. Open the serial connection and the location of your spindle is Machine Zero.

Other programs may vary. You could do a power off / power on cycle to set Machine Zero, however there could be a slight bit of motion to mess you up. Depends on the tolerance of your job.

I bet there’s a G-code command to set Machine Zero, but I haven’t looked for it and I have some errands to run (several hours).

1 Like

Ok, that was the problem. Now all the values are infinite.

I’ll have to think about how to proceed. I have to run some errands. I’ll check back later this afternoon.

Ok, lot of thanks Larry!