Alarm: Homing fail. Y axe doesn't moves

Hi @PhilJohnson,

The limit switches right angle pins are directly connected to the pins that plug into the arduino, there’s nothing in between and they are very close so I don’t think it’s a noise issue on the gshield itself.

@PhilJohnson is it possible for you to work direclty with support on this? Maybe send them some pictures of your set up. They can bring in engineering resources if they can’t figure it out and we can try to replicate the issue here by doing your exact same set up or look at yours and figure out where the issue is.

@LarryM

I am using the black/white wires.

@Zach_Kaplan

Thank you! As soon as possible I will write you and tell you about the issue, giving you the order number.

@PhilJohnson ah OK. Yea we were off for Memorial day. Sorry about that.

1 Like

@NunoGato

Hello, first of all I wanted to make clear about the issue of being in touch with me since day 1. As you know I sent you an email telling you my problem and you didn’t answer, then I sent you another email which you didn’t answer either. And after waiting for one week, the last step I had to do in order to contact you was to call you directly from Spain to the UK. Afterwards, we continued having communication issues and that is the reason why I have chosen this way to try to solve my problem because as you know I have been with the X-carve for one month and a half without being able to use it.
Even though I appreciate your time in trying to solve my problem. As you told me I have already checked the soldering of the pins which I soldered and the ones which come already assembled. And there exists conductivity between all of them. So that is not the problem for sure (even though the soldering is not a perfect one there is connectivity).

Ok, I’m working with Phil to solve his problem and I think that yours is similar.

It might be due to a characteristic of the Arduino that varies slightly from part to part.

Can you solder up a circuit if you are given the schematic?

Hi @Mino,

We know that in the beginning we took a couple of days to reply but after that we have replied within 1-2 business days.

You have now with you 3 gShields (1 from the original x-carve and 2 that were shipped after) 2 arduinos (1 from the original x-carve and other that you got yourself) and still having issues with the end switches signaling.

The end switches are not the issue as you checked them and the issue still happens when you do not have them connected.

I think that the last option would to you to return us the gshield+arduino to be checked locally so we finally find what’s exactly happening.

@PhilJohnson it is possible that you have a bad Arduino. Robosavvy had this before where for some reason some Arduino pins are dead, you are still able to flash the board, do everything else but that pin on the microcontroller is dead.

Maybe give our CS team a call to see if they can video chat with you to figure it out. 312-775-7009.

@Zach_Kaplan

Zach, your company sent Phil a new Arduino. He’s in the states.

@PhilJohnson I don’t want to get in the middle of the CS tech and you troubleshooting. They don’t like when I do that because it’s all documented in their support ticket system and we have procedures to help troubleshoot step by step. When I get in the middle it makes it harder for them to figure out the next step.

If you don’t think the issue they diagnosed is the right one then please give them a call back and work on it with them. I don’t want to undermine their process.

3 Likes

Just a heads up on their shield (excellent product), but it doesn’t fit in the stock electronics holder so you will need to devise a custom case and fan holder before it arrives.

1 Like

Hi,

First of all thanks @Mino for the fast shipping to us.

After checking the boards we found that when testing conductivity between the GND and the pins where the limit switches connect there was no conductivity but when checking the resistance it would give values on the Mega Ohm range

After inspecting the boards there’s loads of flux on them, after some cleaning with isopropyl alcohol the resistance went higher but was not enough to fix the issue, the image below is the image after cleaning. We need to get a small brush and try to clean it better to see if the boards can be used.

@Mino as you had a 3rd gshield that was not soldered we opened that one and soldered new pins there and it’s giving the right results on the software 000 on the endstop switches. Being shipped out to you tomorrow.

1 Like

@Mino

When you get the boards back, test them with the gShield plugged into the Arduino, but with the switches and the 24 volt power supply disconnected (You should see PINS:000||, or LIM=000).

If that works, then hook up the switches and use the ? command to see if grbl sees the switches change the status value when you press them by hand. (Issue the ? command to see them not tripped, then press one of the switches, hold it, do the ? again to see if it is tripped, repeat for the two other switches.)

If that is successful, then hook everything back up and try a homing sequence. Most likely it will fail since you don’t have shielded wires for your switches. There is a way to filter the switch wires that will eliminate the noise that will cause false triggers on the switches. It will require some external components to be added to the switch wires at the place that they connect to the gShield.

We tested only the arduino + gshield without any external power applied.

Or make your own enclosure. :wink:

I made an enclosure out of scrap. I have since replaced it with a slightly better designed one (and will probably redo it again at some point). But improvising that first enclosure on the XC was one of my more fun projects. :grinning:

1 Like

@NunoGato

I’m very happy. Finally It works! Lot of thanks, Nuno! :grin:

1 Like

This was an interesting thread and taught me a lot. Now I am having problem where my switch status shows as 010 while having the 24V supply. When I turn the 24V supply off, the status shows as 000. When I disconnected the Y cable from gShield and turned 24V power supply on, it still shows the status as 010. If switch is bad, why would it show 000 when the power is off?

No, i haven’t done anything about noise suppression.

Now suddenly, even when 24v power supple is down, the status is 010. Any help whats going on? Is my gShield or Arduino bad?