Am I the only one with Easel freezing up a lot now?

It’s only started happening in the last few weeks, and is happening on all 3 of my computers.

I’m not doing anything different from usual. I’m importing an svg of simple lines for engraving. The files are made in Illustrator. This is how I’ve always been doing it (almost 1 year).

It’s having the following problems:

• If I drag a selection box over the edge of the workspace and into the light blue area, it won’t recognize that I’ve released the mouse button. So I’m stuck with a selection box dragging around the screen and I can’t do anything.
  • Selecting using Ctrl+A no longer works, and instantly freezes all selecting and cut depth window.
  • Often in freezes just from trying to drag selected objects.
  • Sometimes in just won’t load an svg until I refresh the browser.

All these problems require a browser refresh. The top menus still work though, but nothing in the work space works. I have no issues at all when importing g-codes.

I use chrome on windows 7. Same thing happens in firefox.

Is anyone else having the same issues? Any idea how to fix it?

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problems with Safari on Mac OS. Haven’t been able to use my machine in the last couple of days…

Hi Corey,

Can I take a look at the SVG files in your account that you are trying to work with?

There were some issues earlier in the week with our hosting provider (AWS), and then the following night we experienced another temporary server outage, but Easel has been operating normally since then. I suspect this problem has something to do with your specific SVG files.

Jeff

Thanks PhilJohnon, i tried what you said, but it doesn’t work for me. I did figure out though, that it only has the problem when I release the click in the -x,-y area. At least knowing this will help me work around it for now.

1 Like

JeffTalbot, the file is located here >> Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

I also looked at some older files that worked fine in the past. Most of them are having problems now too. One file that looks very similar to this works fine though. the difference is that the old one has the lines expanded in Illustrator. But that turns each line into 2 lines side-by-side, instead of a single line path.

Hi Corey,

I see the problem with your SVG file. There are some paths in it that contain no points, just a single “move” operation. Those paths are causing Easel’s SVG importer to import some invalid objects into the design. When those objects are selected, Easel hangs (and all objects are selected by default on SVG import). We’ll get a fix out as soon as we can.

Jeff

1 Like

@CoreyD, could you try importing your SVG file again? We pushed a fix for the empty path issue.

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks @JeffTalbot it seems to be working much better now. It’s importing in properly and not locking up. Ctrl+A still freezes it and the select box still does that thing i mentioned before, but I can work around them. Thanks for your help!

Hi Corey,

If Ctrl+A still freezes it, there might be some invalid objects leftover from previous imports. Did you import your SVG file into a new project, or an existing project? Could you send me the link to your project? You can PM it to me if you want.

Jeff