Amost every time I use this machine it destroys what I am carving!

And then there’s The ferrite bead block to mask noise problems instead of fixing noise problem sources :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I can understand the ferrite just to try and mitigate unwanted noise from coming back in, but the wiring layout, routing, and cable management make me want to cry because running low voltage and USB parallel to VFD inputs/outputs is just asking for noise issues.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Rather than bringing your USB cable inside you might just try getting a short quality cable to replace that ridiculously long USB cable inside. You could buy one with the ferrite built in, or remove the ferrite from where it is and just use it floating on the cable. I really don’t like the location WRT the VFD and power cabling. You might also want to check that there is continuity between the power cord ground (round prong) and the box and any cable shielding (I would hope they shielded the cables). Also if you have a vacuum setup (maybe not with 80/20 box) you might want a ground wire to discharge static electricity buildup that is common in winter.

Have to say I’m disappointed to see this is their PRO version. I would want real separate stepper drivers rather than a controller board that incorporates the drivers. I’m sure they save a little on wiring and cost but I would pay an extra $100 for them to do it right. I am also disappointed to see that they use unshielded wire for the stepper and VFD drive lines too. I replaced my xcarve controller board with an Arduino, TB6600 stepper drives and full shielding on stepper and VFD cabling. I too was having issues with random carve failures early on. Have not had any since the conversion. It does not look like the limit switch cabling is shielded, and I don’t know if any of the external cabling is shielded. I would hope it is - but probably not based on what I see here. Lots of ways for EMI and ESD to infiltrate this system and cause problems.

1 Like

these might help, I used a few of these it resolved my issue. never had a problem since.

![Screenshot_20220118-124829_Amazon Shopping|595x500]

(upload://bMus4VhNYTkzqLUYEnLl5pIgt9Z.jpeg)

1 Like

I have been having the same issues. Somedays it will do this in the most Y axis and then the next day it will happen in the X axis. Every time it does it, the axis it is affecting, will change the speed it is moving at and sounds like it does when doing the fine tuned homing.

1 Like

I was told there is new firmware that changes the baud rate for the USB.

Well it did it again, Shifted 1.25 inches on the x axis to the right on its own and then continued to carve away and ruin yet another piece of wood. Checked the x axis belt and pullies, still tight and the paint lines on the shaft and pulleys still line up so no slippage there. Something is causing it to glitch out, Hope they figure this out soon.

share your Gcode

@WilliamMclain Can you go to machine inspector (ctrl+shift+D), scroll to the bottom and share your settings?

Also have you verified the belt tension?

@WilliamMclain This is on the X-carve PRO?

1 Like

Code below, as stated verified belt and checked for slippage on the shaft and pullys.

$0=10
$1=255
$2=0
$3=14
$4=0
$5=0
$6=0
$10=115
$11=0.020
$12=0.002
$13=0
$20=0
$21=0
$22=1
$23=3
$24=25.000
$25=750.000
$26=250
$27=2.000
$30=24000
$31=0
$32=0
$100=42.353
$101=42.353
$102=160.000
$110=7620.000
$111=7620.000
$112=2540.000
$120=250.000
$121=350.000
$122=500.000
$130=1219.000
$131=1219.000
$132=130.000

1 Like

How do I share my gcode?

wildlife.nc (617.3 KB)

Those match the defaults I have for XCP 4x4.

Thanks for looking. I have contacted Inventables a week or so ago and was not able to take the return call and when I tried back they were closed.

I have gone so far as to put the machine and the computer (way more computer than needed) on a separated power source (nothing else on the circuit) with the power going through a battery back-up system with a filter and cleaner (designed for servers).

I am considering purchasing a Masso G3 touch for this machine. Can anyone offer any insight on a swap like this? They sell these steppers for it…

At 21-22 seconds you can see it shift about 1.25 inches slowly to the right (away from the camera). This is where the problem happened and always when it happens the machine will slow way down, do the wrong thing and then pick-up where ever it was prior to the shift but in the wrong location. When the machine is complete with the cut it will return to the x-y zero point but will be off by whatever it shifted when it cut.

As @NeilFerreri1 suggested I believe it is EMI interference that is causing it. Exact same thing happened to me over and over. They just told me they are lowering the baud rate for a firmware update that addresses this issue. I have not installed the firmware yet.

1 Like

Have not seen a firmware update yet. It could be EMI, will have to but a scope in the room to see if I can find it

1 Like

I am not an expert but my guess is the USB interface and cable proximity to unshielded spindle and power supply/cables in the control box might be a contributor.

1 Like