So ends another day of learning… So, I have a job to do for a buddy and I thought this would the perfect opportunity to use the Oramask 813 I bought. The job is for a cabinet maker and he wanted something he could put on the counters of his finished projects for his pictures. Then when he showed his pictures his slogan would be right there.
Using Easel I made something up using an oval and a rooftop (Thanks Steve for the idea) and put his slogan in the middle leaving a pocket carve around it. For his approval I provided a picture of the “rendering” in easel using a black and white HDPE.
I got the thumbs up and got to gettin’.
I picked up a 2’ X 2’ sheet of .25 MDF, measured off a peice that was 20" by 13" and laid down 2 coats of Pure White Enamel paint and primer. I let that sit for 48 hours and sprayed 2 coats of clear laquer.
Once that dried for about an hour or 2 I stuck on the oramask, secured it to the workstation and got ready to carve.
Now, here is where I made my first mistake… I have not invested in a downcut 1/4 endmill. I really think this would have helped. My roughing pass made mince meat out of my oramask.
Once I was finished the roughing pass I attempted to put fresh oramask back on the parts that got messed up. This did not provide the wanted outcome. There were a couple pieces that stuck but the majority did not.
I still have to paint the back ground black and I don’t think it will that difficult. I figure I can just keep a damp cloth close by and be careful.
I wanted to share my journey with you and plan on adding to this thread as I learn more and do more with my new machine. I am learning a lot from trial and error and a lot more from this group. So consider this a small part of my contribution.
Thanks for reading, Drew