Angus's linuX-Carve

People have a love/hate relationship w/ those — they seem poorly made / designed to me — better to drop a CD around the hole and use the reflection to keep one drilling plumb (add a pair of sliding bevels / squares if at an angle)

agree trying to put a waste board on a drill press wouldn’t be an easy task. I was lucky in the fact Sears took the broken guide back no questions.

I have a Triton plunge drill which has that mechanism built in. It’s old, heavy and uses NiCad batteries which give it a usable life of about 10 minutes. It only gets used when I need a straight drilled hole and the work piece doesn’t fit under the drill press.
A guy around the corner from me has this drill press in his shed. Not allowed to cut wood on it though.

1 Like

Now there is a “precision” drill press.

How about a plunge router with depth stop and flat nose bit, that’ll be perpendicular…

I did something similar to that for my first wasteboard, I just measured bit center to edge of router base, then clamped guides, but I definitely see your point, its a lot of setup.

@AngusMcleod, why not solicit the help of someone here with a CNC big enough to hold your waste board and drill the holes? I know a couple of people!!

My suggestion would be to cut a template of 1/4 of the spoil board, then use it to drill the actual Wasteboard.

I turn 50 next week, will you be done before I turn 60?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I have not been using the clamping holes that much recently. I attached a secondary wasteboard and I have been screwing down the workpiece whenever I can.

2 Likes

I find it nice to have the regularly spaced holes on the board. I also find that I use different parts of the board for different types of jobs. This also has the added bonus of evenly distributing the ware across the whole surface rather than concentrating it in one spot.

God I love that sort of empirical measurement. I’m going to try to do the same thing on my 1000mm XC and will report the findings (in a separate thread). Your machine looks awesome!

We’re overdue for an update on your build Angus. :grinning:

Some cake and a bottle of something invites it’s way over to Pete’s and gets him to let you use his ShopBot. :slight_smile:

Angus Where are you?

I was the same with my X-Carve. Initial enthusiasm then after a short break, lost interest for ages.
When I got my 3d printer, there was a 12 month gap between starting and finishing the build.

The interest will return. You’ll soon find yourself up till the wee small hours saying to yourself 'I’ll just finish off this bit then go to bed…’

Welcome back I missed these updates, I too have rebuilt my machine, not as fine as yours, but its up and running. SuperPid is ordered, huge tinker factor there. :slight_smile:
My biggest problem is frost, where I live there is night frost and it plays havoc with my back muscles, I will have to take a turn to the chiropractor arg…

I get the same way. It frustrating between jobs when there are no things to carve. Or even waiting for approval for a carve to start.
And when i get the itch i run to amazon buy more aluminum and start carving upgrades to my machine.
Or carving tiny little signs to tease the customers while they await approval… :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I’m in the process of building a new wasteboard and I’m wondering why the holes for the inserts need to be countersunk? If they are not touching any part of the frame, it seems like they’ll be just fine, even sturdier since the flange will be in full contact with the mdf. Am I missing something?

I’m using the inserts from Inventables.

If you are speaking of the inserts for the clamps then technically they don’t if you are using a sacrificial wastboard on top of that one. If you aren’t however, and you cut all the way through your project and into the wasteboard, and hit one with your router bit, you will be sad as it will do damage to something, be it the wasteboard insert, project, or your possibly expensive bit.