Angus's linuX-Carve

Yepp, the eagle has landed :smile:

Only thing you would lose that is on the pcb is the PWM and digital on/off for spindle control

I wish Iā€™d thought to do something like that for the wiring when I built my torsion box.

All these great ideas AFTER Iā€™ve finished making my bench ā€¦
I have a power board that Iā€™ll mount under the bench for the computer/monitor and controller. The router power cord wonā€™t be long enough so it will have to go in a wall socket which is mounted about 1.5 metres above the ground. Iā€™ll also have to arrange power for the wireless router, another power board.

Youā€™re right, all benches are a work in progress :grin:

Makerslide! \o/

On my torsion box, I used poly but not water based, something cheap I had on hand.
For the top though, itā€™s just waxed surface. I waxed one piece of the MDF for building the internal structure of the torsion box (glue doesnā€™t stick to wax) and decided it was too much trouble to clean off to apply poly.
I donā€™t expect any problems even though I live by the water.
Do you intend to measure the flatness of your torsion box? Iā€™d be interested in how flat youā€™ve been able to make it.

As long as itā€™s relatively flat and your X-Carve is secured to it well in a few areas, you should be able to flatten your wasteboard and count on that being flat enough for your work. Use shims as necessary.

I built the first torsion box on a large bench (2400x1200) with a half sheet of 18mm MDF on top. I made the MDF level with shims. My second torsion box for a smaller CNC I have, is flat because I could use the first torsion box to make it.
While totally flat would be nice, Iā€™m not sure that it matters (within reason) for the X-Carve. What you want there is nice stiff surface that wonā€™t flex under use. You can always shim the X-Carve to level.
Speaking of shimming, Iā€™m off to the CNC workshop to try and get the spoil board level.

Anymore update Angus???

What he said :arrow_up:

Looks very promising! Love the Y-axis extension. Yesterday, I had to tap a bunch of holes to thread #8ā€™s from aluminum into stainless. Ughā€¦

Wow. I am as exited to see your xcarve assembled as I was to build mine. Get to it man. Lol

Hi Angus,

You can always tell a true engineerā€¦tapping, rather than using self tappersā€¦I loved reading your postā€¦it was extremely informative!!!

Thank you so much!!

All the very best

Dave

Thatā€™s what you needed the dog for! Some people have warning dogs that they are about to have a seizure, you need a lubricant mishap warning dog!

I tapped my makerslide as well - it made a huge difference even with the thread assist screws. I plan on replacing those bolts with longer normal M5 x 20mm bolts. Using Loctight blue with them really tightened up the gantry and prevents any slippage.

This is what Frank did for his CNC build. Start at about 7:10.

On my S2, I used pieces of alum. angle screwed to the front and rear cross pieces and screwed those down to a 3/4 inch cabinet ply after assuring squareness. Then added spoil board support braces.
John

Edit: If you have access to a machine shop, squaring cuts is best done on a milling machine.

Edit 2:
Oh, please excuse my bad manners! Merry Christmas to one and all, and to all a very Happy New Year.
Keep generating sawdust. ;>)

1 Like

Seeing you only have a few cuts to make, why not find a local machine shop or aluminium fabricator to do them? At this time of year, a case of beer is often ample payment.
I found that on my X-Carve, once I had the base extrusions squared up (measure diagonally), screwing them down to the spoil board kept them aligned.
Merry Christmas to those still enjoying it.

Looking awesome, Iā€™m in the process of rebuilding mine, Iā€™m reinforcing the base but nowhere near close as yours, I canā€™t wait to see it working.