Another Aztec Sun Stone Calendar carved

I’ve made the correction…“Aztec Sun Stone Calendar”

In an effort to just do something, I got the vector file from here… Maya and aztec vector symbols Set it up in V-Carve Pro and carved it…

Understand this… I’m no expert on this stuff… Inverted, up side down, or right side inverted to downside, carved up or down it still in my view looks neat… Whether I have the historically/politically correct version is a fallacy of the thousands of images/versions on the internet. I’ve seen all kinds of versions so far. Because I’m still learning to use all the features of VCarve Pro I would have no idea at this point whether it was meant to be carved with my software or not.

This was a test to see what I could produce and how the machine would handle a lengthy carve. I didn’t waste my time worrying if the end result was perfect. It was a personal goal just to make one. I’ll proudly be hanging it on the wall to remind me of what can be achieved with a X-Carve 2.0.

I kept things slow to make sure the V-bit didn’t tear out material. I made only one mistake in the tool selection. I had forgot to change the safe distance above the material. It ended up raising to 0.5 after each cut where it only needed to go 0.05 or slightly less above the top of the material to clear. That added time and I suppose I could have shortened the overall time. It was a $7.25 piece of prefabricated round 1" pine circular flat used for “Lazy Susan’s” or something like that from Home Depot. I only needed to surface it by a tad. Used my 1-1/2" Freud Surfacing bit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edge-Glued-Round-Common-1-1-31-in-x-23-3-4-in-Actual-1-0-in-x-23-75-in-682527/202017012?keyword=812567011234

I’ll try again in near future and I’l surely check first with the powers to be to make sure I have the “right” one that will pass muster…

Steve…

4 Likes