Any ideas?

I don’t have a 1/8 bit. After research it suggests that 1/8 is to cut and 1/16 and 1/32 is to engrave. The best for engraving are downcuts, but what I have been given is upcuts. But it should say all of this - in a guide provided by Inventables.

Tbh the drill bits I have, aren’t long enough to cut into 18mm thick MDF. Again, where is a guide to warn you of this??

I think I’m just going to return this, it’s not worth £2,500 and the hassle.

Thank you though.

It shouldn’t matter, where I live we have Consumer Distance Selling Regulations, I’ve bought it and plan to return it within the 28 days of purchase.

…and therefore possible to solve if OP wish to pursue this.

The recommended feed/speed for Xcarve (and also Carvey?) do not take into account the bit diameter. MDF may be fine at 1200mm/min and 0.6mm depth per cut with a 3mm bit - but that speed will be way too fast for a 1/32" bit.

General rule for wood:
If the bit breaks, slow down / go lighter

Actually, if you read up the post I am having other problems.

For example yesterday I tried to engrave 1mm on 3mm MDF and it cut all the way through, therefore it is or was faulty.

I would kindly ask you not to respond with any further advice and enjoy the rest of your day :slight_smile: x

Positional faults are due to one or two things:

• Incorrect zeroing (either work flow error or bad data from either operator or machine)
  • Mechanical/electrical issue where postion is “lost” due to various reasons.

Could you please try the following:
Set up a carve, zero the bit as per Carvey instructions and report the Machine/Work postion coordinates shown in Easel/Machine Inspector?
No need to actually run a carve, I am curious where the machine believe it is just prior to you actually hitting “Carve” :slight_smile:

Thanks for your response and your help, I will have to give this a go when I receive a 1/8. I think you can get them in hardware shops (Homebase for example) but I’ll have to look.

I really appreciate your help.

With these machines, it’s best to start with all the standard tutorials, then begin with simple things and add complexity gradually.

It’s also important to use good quality endmills which are suited to the machine, and feeds and speeds appropriate for the endmill you’ve installed and the material you have clamped up.

Endmills wear down, and unfortunately aren’t easily sharpened for hobbyist purposes so have to be considered a consumable.

I’m sure if there is someone nearby you they would be willing to come look at your setup. I know I would if you happen to live in Alaska.

Have had the Carvey for over a year and experienced some of the problems you seem to be having. Concerning broken bits, I found the Carvey settings to be too aggressive, at least for the smaller bits. Backed off speed and/or depth until it cuts without sounding like it is straining. Not scientific, and I probably don’t get maximum bit life nor minimal run times, but it works for me.

On the depth, I had this happen a couple of times. Both were the same problem. The Smart Clamp is good idea, but if the microswitch within goes bad, the Carvey can’t zero the Z-axis. I thought they fixed to the earlier microswitch issue, but maybe not. When you start a job and the bit moves to touch the small silver pad on the Smart Clamp, does it just “kiss” the pad or does the pad noticeably depress? If that sensor is moving too much more than the thickness of a piece of paper, I would suspect a bad Smart Clamp microswitch. Support took care of me on that issue.

3 Likes

No it wasn’t mentioned anywhere, there really should be a guide, because it was my understanding it could cut through 18mm (or higher) and that’s one of the reasons why we bought it.

Thank you for your help

Oh yeah I understood it won’t cut all the way through instantly, it will take a few rounds/passes to fully cut through. I didn’t realise the drill bits provided would be limited because of their size in length.

Thank you I will take a look

1 Like

Also, you have to limit the cuts which you take to the flute length of the endmills, or arrange the geometry of the part so that there won’t be rubbing — see: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

I bought some 1/8 from eBay and they are :ok_hand: fantastic. They cut all the way through (takes a few passes) without a problem, just struggle to install them as they’re loose. I have to use my purse and the case they came in to hold it in place so I can tighten the bolts.

I don’t recommend these for engraving or cutting 3mm MDF though. It came out too fluffy; it may be the MDF (it is supposed to be premium)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-set-Tungsten-Steel-Carbide-PCB-CNC-Micro-Drill-Bits-Milling-Various-Sizes/172206428281?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=471039165914&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sadly the seller doesn’t sell straight cuts or down-cuts in 1.375mm and I’m not able to find them anywhere?

So the 1/32 is for engraving.

The 1/16 is for engraving and can cut 3mm MDF. But why does Inventables include this in their standard Carvey pack? Surely they should include a 1/8 instead!?

We didn’t get that with ours, we only got one 1/16 bit?