Any other X-Carves near Danbury CT?

I live in Danbury CT and just got my X-Carve working, wondering if there are any others nearby.

I live in Plainville just up Rout 84 from you about 45 min drive.

not to far I am in West Haven I also have a 1000mm unit

I’m in Bethel…small world…

{:0)

Brandon

Wow, that’s close. What was your motivation for getting it, business or hobby? Hobby for me, I seem to be creating my own personal makerspace.

It was hobby mainly for me, but I wouldn’t turn down creating something for a paying customer. I had an inquiry last week at work about a small job, but then they realized that we actually have a full machine shop with a very good machinist, but I’m pretty sure the X-CARVE could have gotten that job done much quicker. :wink:

I wanted to be able to make things out of pretty much any material not just plastic so I got the mill instead of a 3D printer. That being said, thankfully my friend has a 3D printer and he has already started making me parts for the X-CARVE (a dust shoe is a MUST).

I am a GIANT NERD so I enjoy everything from programming, electronics, milling, but I also have an Inner Grease-Monkey lurking around as well.

Here is my first real project; I think it turned out nicely…

{:0)

Brandon

I identify as a geek rather than a nerd :grinning:
I’ve long had woodworking as a hobby, picked up woodturning a few years ago, and developed a serious Festool habit in the process. I’m a programmer by day, electronics wannabe by night (Arduinos, Raspberry Pi’s, and ESP8266’s each outnumber people in my house though most of them still need something useful to do). Got a Makergear M2 3D printer almost 2 years ago, and just got the X-Carve. 2015 was the year of the drone for me, ended up building a quadcopter from parts, then parts from said quadcopter (still working on a redesign).

Still trying to leverage my Fusion 360 3D printing knowledge into CNC knowledge. Today I was checking out GRBLWeb on a Raspberry Pi as a possible controller for the X-Carve, though it’s a bit primitive even compared to UGS.

I’m in West Haven. I’m dealing with a lot of “Stop/Go” as I am on pause until I can deal with sound dampening.

#ApartmentLife

Hi Jay, My name is Bob I am also in West Haven, as of now I am out at at school for work in Norman, Oklahoma should get back by the the 8th would like to meet I have a 1000mm xcarve

Hi,

Another Connecti"cutter" here. I live in Hebron, not too close to Danbury, though.

I’ve had the 1000 for several months. I adopted the machine from a gentleman in Winstead
who had some difficulties with it. I brought it home, rebuiilt it and have had a pretty good
experience with it except for the occasional challenge.

I retired in September and having a great time learning the process. For the past month I 've been working on Derek Hugger’s kinetic art design “Colibri”. Google him, for some some inspiring work.

Happy to hear there are other Connecticut carvers.

-Larry

Cool! Are you working with Derek or trying to do things like what he’s done?

Steve,

Derek sells plans for each of his art works at: derekhugger.com

I purchased his plans which includes pdfs and dxf files.
So far, I’ve found his instructions and, iin particularly his material
sources very thorough.

-Larry

How much do you think the hardware for the Colibri cost you? I think I might NEED one of those.

A pretty close estimate for the McMaster-Carr parts came to just over 300. I haven’t calculated how much I’ve spent on the Baltic Birch plywood, but I would guess it has been 300 to 350. The wood costs can be reduced if you have a local source to reduce shipping costs.

Looking ahead at the assembly process. I suspect I may be redoing some of the parts based on how well the parts fit together.

We could probably make that happen. Drop me a line when you get back, and if I am not in a state of my brains seeping out of my ears (LOL), then we will link up.