Anyone able to export Fusion360 to laser cutter?

Is anyone able to export Fusion360 files to svg or other scale accurate file for use on a laser cutter?

I am currently trying to sort through using the preview laser/waterjet/plasma features of Fusion to try to generate gcode using the Smoothie post processor and bring that gcode into Laserweb3 to send to the Chinese laser cutter I upgraded with a Smoothieboard to replace the native controller (wow, that’s a mouthful). My first attempt on the Fusion 360 → LW part was last night and ran into some problems, but I got some feedback and will try again tonight.

The thread I started to discuss this is on G+ here

1 Like

Very interesting. I didn’t know that there was a “laser” feature on Fusion 360. May I ask which Menu I would find it in?

Click on your account name at the upper right corner, select preferences, select preview, then check the CAM - Waterjet/Laser/Plasma cutter support option, hit OK, restart Fusion. Then when you go into the CAM workspace you will see a Waterjet icon at the top which actually supports laser as well (look at the tool settings). You’ll also need to install a post processor for the laser controller you’re using.

Also be aware that this does NOT work with the controller that comes in the K40 Chinese laser cutters which only support the software they come with. You have to replace that controller with something like an Arduino running GRBL or a Smoothieboard (this is what I did and produces higher quality output). Then you can front end that with Laserweb3 or other options which can take gcode. Laserweb3 can take vector formats like svg or image formats like jpg and generate the gcode itself, or you can generate the gcode in another program (like Fusion with the appropriate post processor) and use Laserweb3 to send it to the laser. The current version of Inkscape (open source Adobe Illustrator clone) also has a plugin that can be used to generate gcode, but I haven’t tried that yet.

1 Like

I believe there are also CAM post processors available for Fusion which will output a DXF instead of gcode - this DXF could then be loaded into the laser software to cut/engrave the design. Look at Autodesk’s post processor library for those.

1 Like

I HAIL YOU!!!

Thank You so much. Hopefully the guys at my local Makerspace will be able to help walk me through your instructions. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be happy the first time I actually make it through those instructions. Last night I managed to get past a post processor error in generating the gcode and uploaded that file to Laserweb3, but then found that the gcode didn’t work when I tried to actually make the cut. So I’m trying to figure out why the generated gcode confused the Smoothieboard. It seems to be related to the need to set feed rates in Fusion which isn’t as obvious as you’d like it to be. Will see what happens (if anything) tonight when I take my next crack at it.

1 Like

I’ve got a 3D printer, X-Carve 1000, and most recently the K40 laser cutter - the dream I’m working towards is to be able to design a multi-part object in Fusion and then 3D print some pieces, CNC carve others, and laser a few. The 3D printing and CNC parts are just a matter of calibration now, the laser is a bit further out.

1 Like

You and I seem to have fairly similar goals. it just seems that you may be a High School Freshman…

… And, I a first grader. LMAO

1 Like

What’s also funny is that I designed a dust collection hose clip that’s 3D printed and mounts on top of the X-Carve Z motor plate, 3D printed it and just bolted it on and it works. Then I used the X-Carve to cut some ventilation mounting brackets for the laser cutter. So it feels like the three machines are ganging up just to make parts for each other. I’m hoping to make more things that aren’t just upgrades to the machines that make things.

1 Like

That is wicked enviable!!!

Things like that make me wish that I had a garage… not just a second bedroom in my apartment. LOL

by the way… where does one find “post processors”?

here

1 Like

Your bronze statue will be erected and placed in my town square by Q2 2017. :smiley:

1 Like

Off to the space I go

BTW, another trick in Fusion: Click on your account at the top right, select preferences, then under general select CAM, then check “enable cloud libraries”, save, restart. That lets you store your bit libraries and post processors in Autodesks cloud so you don’t have to manually copy your bit collection and post processors to each machine you install Fusion on. You end up using the A360 website to actually upload the files.

1 Like

Dear lord… You are AWESOME!!!

1 Like

I don’t use Fusion 360 (as of yet). But I’ll keep this in my back pocket!

2 Likes

How is the Post Processor installed, Master Kenobi? :smiley:

do it this way despite the instructions saying they’re for the mac

1 Like