Anyone done an MFT Jig?

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has made an MFT jig and if so what settings did you use? found this one MFT router template by LarsSorensen - Thingiverse from thingiverse, I imported it using the DXF importer on easel but it only shows me the outline and one of the L pockets, none of the actual holes.

I could buy a jig, but then whats the point in having a cnc machine.

many thanks in advance

Derek

1 Like

That DXF had duplicate lines…not sure how Easel’s import would handle it.

Here ya’ go.
SVG file…(Right click --> Save image as)

mft_template_Fixed

1 Like

Thanks Neil, tried just doing the holes but my XC has let me down again with cutting ovals instead of circles! but thank you for the svg file, will try and see if i can find whats come loose this time…

How are you using this jig?

@PhillipLunsford
Check here
And here

3 Likes

Very nice

Yeah, wow! Would be great for the plain laminate outfeed table I have now.

My only question is … can our x carve with tiling just do the whole thing? Forget the jig?

I just don’t do so well with the geometric figuring.

Edit to add this looks useful, no?

My ohere thought on doing it especially for the hole is get a 20mm bit and using the drill app in easel, just need to find one that will fit in the dewalt router.

Okay … So I never heard of an MFT top or clamps (which are crazy expensive!) before this thread but am really digging it.

I searched the project section and what did I find, courtesy Robert Mott …

1 Like

yeah that looks good, how did i miss that one, but the idea of the jig was to upgrade existing workbenches and possibly make a smaller knock down version that i can use while doing projects in the house to do cross cut and small rip cuts with a track saw, without having to keep going out to the garage to use mitre saw/ table saw.

Yeah, that’s a good thought. The SVG posted above by Neil imports beautifully. Very sharp, clean, precise … no extra nodes. Should carve great for you.

1 Like

I don’t mess around.
:wink:

3 Likes

Found a loose and missing grub screw on the Y axis gear wheel, tightened that back up on the FLAT part of the stepper motor, can’t remember now if there was suposed to be 2 grub screws in there, should have checked the others while i was out there! (job for tomorrow now), did a test cut and now have circles again, 2nd problem i copied Robert Mott’s layout, holes say 20mm, i cut 4 holes as a test in some 18mm mdf and they are really sloppy, calipers say 20.25 mm, looks like 2nd job tomorrow will be to try and calibrate the axis’s up, but progress was made.

Good luck. I’m a little curious to see the accuracy of my machine. Haven’t done anything with real tight tolerances in awhile.

One tip is to use your calipers to measure your bit and enter it in accurately. A 5 mm bit could really be 4.98 mm and that would affect the hole size.

Hey guys, for what it’s worth, I just took the original DXF and made it into an SVG of the same dimensions. I noticed the thingiverse page had a link to a Fusion model…file was empty. No big deal, created a Fusion Model from the original file. Hole size (diameter 37.4mm) looks like it’s made to accommodate a 30mm bushing with a 1/2" end mill. The end result would give you a hole size of 20.1mm. Also, the hole sizes were slightly imprecise. Here’s a new version with holes that are EXACTLY 37.40mm in diameter.
If you were going to use a 20mm bit with a plunge router, you’ll need to change the sizeof the holes to match your guide bushing.
I just made a version in Fusion with parametric hole size based on router bit and bushing size. I don’t know what other dimensions are critical. If you need something, I’m happy to help.

mft_template_Ferreri

3 Likes

Neil you are a legend! well done and thanks again for your help, just one question, what path would you cut on to ensure the 37.4mm?

Thanks again for your help

Well after much trial and error today i carved out the jig, ended up setting the holes to 35.2mm!! to get a 20 mm hole using a router with a 30 mm guide bush and 12.7mm cutter!! On the test mdf piece it cut a 20mm hole lovely, so i proceeded to set the 10 holes to 35.2 mm and cut inside but shock horror the end result is a smidgin below 20mm so will have to try and sand the holes, oh i should probably point out that i am ising a 6.3mm cutter on the XC. Machine cut out the jig no problem, but i will probably do another one as a couple of issues.

1. the holes have not cut at 35.2mm but more like 34.5 - 34.8mm, each hole measures diffrently, could be that on the test cuts i was cutting into a scrap piece of plywood and the 20mm holes were routed into a scrap piece of mdf, i cut the jig in 18mm mdf and the workbench top was 18 mm plywood.

2. There is not a lot of room between the the perimiter of the jig and the carry handle (like 5mm) and also not a lot of room between the carry handle and the first pocket template.

3, need to make some locating pins to sit inside the jig once first set of holes are done.

Also worth noting that during the cut i ended up screwing down the waste parts as the tabs did not hold and the 90 degree pocket cuts in stages instead of following the shape.

but all in all a little bit of sanding on the dog holes and hopefully we can call this as done and can start converting my workbenches, will let you know if it is accurate after i have got a longer piece done.

Thanks again to Neil for the work done on the original DXF file, converting to SVG then redoing the whole thing in fusion 360.

I don’t think you can drill with that bit as the center does not cut.

Inside.

I’m wondering how you got 20mm holes with the half inch bit and a 30mm bushing when your jig had 35ish holes?
I’m thinking of making a jig for myself.