Anyone have experience with Shapeoko 2, Easel, and this Laser Module?

Sure and thank you

Do u have a link?

Hey everyone, I just got my X-Carve and am already planning on future upgrades. I see that everyone is really happy with the J Tech laser sets, but everything that I am seeing here is with the 2.8W laser. I am wondering why you got that one over the other three options. I am wanting to do some engraving as well as some different cuts/designs in wood and Plexiglas. What are your thoughts on the different lasers available. I just don’t want to buy a $250~$450 piece of equipment that wont do what I want it to do.

I’m curious about the same thing. I see an overwhelming amount more about the 2.8W laser than the other two JTech has.

ChristopherMoss- I bought the jtech 2.8w laser because it was the largest one (highest wattage) he had that came as a complete kit. I see he now has a 3.8w laser available. I am not sure what the difference will be if I went with the additional watt so I am not planning to upgrade to that one. I see on picengrave.com’s forum they mention a DTR 6w laser but it has issues with the size of the focused beam even with the jtech lens. I was only considering the 6w as I am interested in the 3d laser that would be quicker with the 6w versus the 2.8w laser I have. I would also like to find out eventually if the 6w has the ability to etch glass or plexiglass. I know the CO2 40w and 60w lasers can do it but I am not sure if the 6w can do it. I know the 2.8w can not etch glass unless you paint the glass and essentially burn through the paint.

So…long answer to a short question - the 2.8w laser was available in a very convenient package by jtech, proven through testing on the shapeoko and x-carve, and 2.8 was the largest they had available at the time of my purchase.

with that said- I still enjoy working with the laser and I am more impressed with the picengrave software products that I use for the laser and now spindle operations.

3 Likes

Thanks for the break down!