Arduino does not work on 3 different computers!

One other thing this is a 48v power supply

Oh, no!

The fan and gShield should be run at 24 volts

Well I was beginning to think that but that is what was sent with my Xcarve and I have no directions or left over components to convert it to 24v. They have the complete list of parts I ordered and I have spoken to them on the phone twice why did they not say anything?

Answered in the other thread.

I think the max voltage for the gShield is 30v. It may be fried. That would explain your fan’s strange behavior too.

Yes its all starting to make sense now,

Do you have a 48v spindle?

No It’s is over in the other thread Larry explained what happen but I I upgraded to a Dewalt 611 -

Thanks Neil for all your help!

Have you tried your Arduino with another GCode sender ? For example the Universal GCode sender ? Is easier there to find the right port. I you can not communicate with this software neither, may be you have the wrong USB driver ( not the Easel driver )

Sounds like it might be fried, make sure the switch on the power supply is set to 110v not 220v. Also, windows 7 and Vista do not like the x-carve. Windows 8 or 10 is recommended. I did have a small issue of having to reinstall my easel drivers everyday because Windows 8 would stop recognizing them but easel ver. 2.2 fixed that. The staff at inventables was a tremendous help would recommend calling them for any question you have (software or hardware) they actually help you unlike the outsourced call centers from other electronic companies. Hope this helps! Carve on

The X-carve works fine with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. I can’t say about Vista, I never used it, but it should work.

Windows 8 and 10 recommended by who?

The COM port auto-detect feature in the newer versions of Easel Local causes problems for some computers.

I have downloaded Easel Local how do you use it? I see no shortcut on the desktop to bring it up?

I would give it a try but as stated there is no recognition of the Arduino driver in the com - device manager so until it shows up I have no way of trying

Yes it is likely fried I set it to 115v but 48v is too high for Arduino it is supposed to use a 24v power supply

Phil, yes I did by the whole kit all at once from Inventables I remember you were helping me in the other thread (remember I had the fan that was ramping up and down?) so this is the same machine. I did go through the whole setup machine process. Last we spoke we established I had a bad Y driver so I sent it back and got a new one but unfortunately they never made the connection that they sold me a 48v power supply and I was using it to plug in directly to the Arduino so I fried it.

Back to Easel, If you look at the OP you can see my Device manager shows no recognition of an Arduino driver or so no way to do machine setup. I have it installed but not showing up in the com port

It happens when you use an Arduino clone, that uses a different UART interface, for example the CH340G. If you don´t install this driver, your PC will never see your Arduino board plugged in.

Inventables support told me there was an issue with 7 and Vista, and recommended 8 or 10

@RobertEBollingJr

lol, Yeah, the issue is that Easel Local works well with Windows 8 and 10, but Easel Local (post version 0.2.2) has a problem running on Windows 7 and Vista.

You have to install the Arduino drivers to get a COM port that shows up in the device manager.

It’s this step in the assembly instructions:

Not necessarily. The Arduino gets its voltage from the USB connector, not the 24 volt power supply.

The 24 volt power supply (the 48 volt in your case) supplies power to the blue LED, the fan, and the stepper motor driver chips (which provide voltage for the stepper motors).

The most likely failure was to burn out the stepper motor driver chip(s) or a motor winding depending on the failure mode. Most likely the stepper motor chips.

It is likely that this did not damage the Arduino, but it could happen.

1 Like