Attaching a pen to spindle mount?

How exciting! I’d love to try making a really nice floating pen holder like that for the X Carve. The results you got are great.

I make wooden pens, I get my kits from: https://www.pennstateind.com/

1 Like

That was early on. The results got WAY better. Best thing to do is find a brand of fine point markers you like, and that come in many colors. I used the Staedler fine points. Then, build your holder to that specification. You will notice the two pieces of HDPE can be swapped out for different kinds of pens. Felt tip is really the way to go. Rollers are too unpredictable. Pencils are cool but you have to constantly “Feed Hold” and sharpen.

1 Like

Not that I could find…everything is rollerball, ballpoint, fountain and pencils.

Hmm, as a very quick, easy solution… have you considered engraving it using the X-carve to a depth slightly less than you want, THEN etching the whole thing? Theoretically, sharp points and ultra-fine details (like, say, machine marks) should be the very first things to go away in the etching… Might be a good way to get the precision of machining, while retaining the surface you like.

I have made something thats very simple actually. and works quite well . check it out

cheers

i am planning on posting mine soon. it’s a sharpie holder with a spring to account for any height changes in the material.

I have the same type of question. I wanted to use a pen to draw gridlines on a piece of mdf to use as a wasteboard. I was thinking a sharpie somehow mounted to the DeWalt spindle.

The instructions are rough right now, but I hope they get the point across. However, if enough are interested, I will refine the instructions and do photos.

Haven’t tested the easel file, as I had made this in rhino and used rhinocam/ugs to cut it.

Enjoy!

Any significance to the red part in the SVG? What about the one towards the right both rectangular and round profiles in the center?

no significance to the red curves in the svg. the rectangular part has to cut all the way through while the circle is a small recess for the spring to fit in. That part faces up when assembled. the other one with a circle (referring to the diagram, second from the left in the layout pointing to the top part) faces down when assembled. It too is recessed. this also will give an idea of how large the spring was that I had used. It is a light spring so it gives more than enough to allow the pen to go over changes in the surface.

1 Like

ok, just realized that the diagram didn’t upload. I’ll reupload it and make sure it works.

EDIT:
ok so, it was uploaded, however I just hadn’t selected it to be viewed with the instruction. here is a direct link to it (not sure if that will work, but it is visible in the instructions now.

I also want to note, that these tolerances are really tight. it should be adjusted based on how well your machine handles tolerance. the rings that hold the sharpie should be just kissing the outside of it so it can still glide but stay pretty well in place. I ended up having to sand mine and using a critical fitting device AKA a rubber mallet. This was my first cut and it showed me that my machine was pretty off to start with.

FYI - having battled the close tolerance issue before, you can also chuck your sharpies into your drill and sand them down a bit. It is often easier to get the tolerance PERFECT this way. Plus, you will know which Sharpies are for your machine and therefore should not be stolen by your spouse or children - another battle.

1 Like

A little late to the game, but I have used a cable tie and snugly strapped the Sharpie into the crevice of the Dewalt 611 mount on the three screw side. It worked well for what I was doing, though I would prefer to have permanent type mount.

In a pinch zip ties and sharpie works great. Trick is setting the z zero. I do .003" depth of cut. I set zero in corner just barely touching paper. And i put a stack of papers so it has a little cousion

1 Like

I don’t have a photo of it but here is the set-up with a wood burner. I made another mount that holds a sharpie. I bought the rail off amazon and mounted it to the side.

3 Likes

Hello,
I’m French, I have mount a pen on my CNC, I use easel but I have undesirables movements.
there is a configation for use easel with a pen ?

sorry for my poor english

This is a simple pen holder for the router.
Some ball pointpens, you can reverse the spring in the pen, and have a spring loaded pen.
The pen is mounted to the side of the router frame using two large bent

washers and screws.
I use this to mainly to see what my diamond bit engraving will look like.

Hi,

It’s been ages since you posted this, but I wanted to ask, how do you mount your diamond engraver.

I have a diamond drag engraver that is mounted in its own collette, meaning that I have to take out the router. wish i could avoid that.

thanks
antoinette

Can you post a picture?