Attempted My first 3D carve using Fusion360. It didn't go well and I have no idea why

Hi all. I’m hoping someone can help me out here because I am completely lost.

I have had the Carvey for a few months and am ready to progress beyond the 2d carving that Easel will allow. I have been learning Fusion 360 with the hopes of using it for more detailed three dimensional work. To test things out, I mocked up a simple pyramid shape using a 3/4" piece of Cherry wood.

In the CAM settings of Fusion 360, I set up a 3D pocket clearing tool path with a 1/4" 2 flute up spiral bit (I selected a 1/4 flat end mill bit from the sample library and made no changes). I also set the cutting feedrates to about 35in/min, the spindle speed to 10,000 rpm, and maximum roughing step down to .04inches.

However when I ran the operation, the cutting sounded horrible and about 75% of the way through, the carvey aborted, and I received an error message saying the Spindle was being overloaded.

However, I have no idea what I did wrong. My preference would be to not destroy this expensive piece of machinery a few months after purchasing it but there is virtually zero information on the internet about using the Carvey for anything other than making fidget spinners and stamps.

Does anyone have any advice they can provide? Thanks in advance!

You put a 1/4" collet on the Carvey? Can you share your F360 file? I run a Carvey with 2.5D and 3D pretty regularly… Most of my 3D is Fusion 360 generated. I typically run slower… Never really above 600mm/min. Your 35in/min seems fast.

As soon as I get back to my computer I’ll share the F360 file. Thanks in advance for taking a look! I assume you’re cutting wood with your Carvey at those speeds?

Not knowing the Carvey, but familiar in the Xcarve world (GRBL) and with F360 it is quite possible that your error message may be correct. My initial feel is that the non-rpm governed spindle may not be up to the task running 1/4" bit with confidence. You also dont mention your set stepover value. (1/10" or 2.54mm maybe?)

I’ll happily check the F360 file if made available :slight_smile: