Is there any way to bulk up the tabs in 3D? Three carves running now, and all of the tabs snap at some point during the finishing process. Today’s carve was 6 hours into an 8 hr project. I almost rage quit. Any tips or suggestions? I have tried slowing down the feed rate, plunge rate, and overlap, but the same result occurs each time. Thanks in advance.
For reference, I’m using 4x2 x-carve pro and Amana bits and the wood is 1" teak. The finishing bit is a 5.4 deg tapered ball nose. I have ordered the 1/8 ball from the store, just waiting on it. Hopefully, this helps, but I still believe the auto tabs may be too fragile.
Not really a solution to the problem you’re having, but I’d highly recommend using tape and CA glue for any job that takes that long. A few minutes on the front end and that piece won’t budge until you’re ready to pull it up.
Also, where do you source your teak?
I’m seeing a number of people mis-entering Tapered Bits into Easel recently, just an FYI / PSA:
Tapered bits are often labeled or sold with the information of the Tip Radius and IF the bit is entered into the toolbox Easel asks for the bit “Diameter” which makes it somewhat apparent that the Radius isnt the same as the Diameter and the Radius provided for the bit would need to be doubled to get the Diameter. BUUUT the other section where bits can be entered, the temporary entry at the bit selection panel asks for the bit “Width” which isn’t quite as clear and this is where I’m seeing people entering the Tip Radius when it really needs the Tip Diameter (aka 2X Radius).
So just a heads up in case it’s not entered correctly, and IF you had entered it correctly even better yet
The particular teak I’m using here is from Lowe’s. It’s a laminated 24"x24" project panel. But Cook Woods is a particular favorite online hardwood dealer I like.
Yeah, I had entered it correctly. I’m going to wait on the 1/8" straight ball nose and see if that helps and use some CA glue after the roughing is done. Thanks for the feedback
After reinforcing the flat side of the wood with CA glue and switching to a non-tapered bit, it came out perfect. Thanks for all of the feedback!